Suggestions for breeds that are small, but active (and not a terrier)?

And some questions from a first time owner.I know you regulars are sick of this question, but I'd like some suggestions for breeds to look at (and I don't have a yahoo account, so I'm using my friends' since this will probably be the only question I'll…

And some questions from a first time owner.I know you regulars are sick of this question, but I'd like some suggestions for breeds to look at (and I don't have a yahoo account, so I'm using my friends' since this will probably be the only question I'll…...
    General Dog Discussions : Suggestions for breeds that are small, but active (and not a terrier)?...

• Suggestions for breeds that are small, but active (and not a terrier)?

Suggestions for breeds that are small, but active (and not a terrier)? General Dog Discussions
      And some questions from a first time owner.I know you regulars are sick of this question, but I'd like some suggestions for breeds to look at (and I don't have a yahoo account, so I'm using my friends' since this will probably be the only question I'll ask). Shetland Sheepdog is currently at the top of my list, but I still want to look more. Also, don't suggest going to a shelter. I'd love to save a dog, but I want to know what to expect from the dog and I want one that is well bred. Not necessarily show quality, but from a reputable breeder. The apartment I'm moving into doesn't allow dogs over 15 kg (about 33 lbs according to an online converter). I want one that I can jog with, but I have issues with terriers, and I don't think there are any toy dogs capable of running an hour each morning. I don't want a breed that I'd have to take to the groomers on a regular basis (or at all), but I don't mind brushing once or twice a day. How much it sheds isn't an issue either. Since I'll be living in an apartment, a breed that isn't too yappy would be good, but it's not that important. They can be trained. Although they are mostly my father's dogs, my family now has two Weimaraners, so I'm not a completely inexperienced dog owner. I know how to train it, what to feed it, what not to feed it, how much exercise it would need, etc, but there are still some things I'm wondering about.How much should I expect to have to pay the first year in vet bills, stuff it needs, etc (not included food, as I've already put this as a monthly expense). I'm managing my budget. I have saved up about $5000 to spend on the puppy and the things it needs (again, food not included, and I can borrow from my parents should something immediate come up) and I'm looking for puppies within the $1000-$2000 range. I'm planning on getting an insurance, but I'm wondering if most companies covers or partly covers neutering and vaccinations?And finally, what are some things to look for when buying a dog from a breeder? How do I know that their papers are legit? And this was longer than I thought it would be. Thanks for your help in advance.

Suggestions for breeds that are small, but active (and not a terrier)? General Dog Discussions
    • papillonshould be enough to start outbanfield has a wellness plan for about $300 that includes fixing and regular shots. it doesn't cover surgeries and emergencies. but check out the vet that work there.have to know what to look for and be able to trust them but cons are good at this. ask around and see if you can talk to people that have bought from them.

• Jack Russell Terrier < I used to have one and am getting a new one tomarrow vey active, love people and are just great pet. Don't require much grooming if you get a smooth coat.Pomeranian....they are good dogs. I know this is probably not one of the dogs your are looking for but I take mine in every once in a while to get him a buzz cut. (I don't like long hair) I run with mine a lot and hes a great running partner.

• A Cavalier King Charles Spaniel! I have one and he is the perfect lap dog and he also has alot of energy and he is very active! He also very friendly and gets along great with anybody! Also he has never bitten anyone or anything! P.s. I go RUNNING with my cav and he can keep up with me! Adoption: IF you do want to adopt one of these dogs be SURE to get a EUROPEAN bloodline or that the parents are from Europe. American bred Cavs are usually bigger,fatter and have a heart defect that can kill the dog no matter the age!

• Well, if you want low-maintenance, Shelties are out. They require daily brushing and periodic grooming appointments.As far as a toy breed that is not a "yapper", most of them are, and it requires some experience or professional training to stop that from happening. Even with that kind of support, you may still end up with a "yapper". By the way, Shelties can be great "yappers".As far as purchasing from a breeder over rescuing, you would need to find a breeder who is selling pups that turned out to not be show quality. That is the only way you will get a good health guarantee and a well-bred dog that will be what you expect from the breed. Anyone who is breeding "pet quality" dogs is selling you no better quality than what is in shelters, which is where most of their dogs end up.If you are purchasing a puppy, expect at least $1000 just for the purchase, with first round of shots. Everything else will fall on you. Second and third round of boosters, Rabies, heartworm preventative, wormings, spay/neuter, all your expense. I wouldn't be surprised if you ended up at over $3000 in expenses in the first year, which of course does not include supplies, crate, bed, toys, food, etc.You didn't mention where you live, and you used kg instead of pounds, so you may or may not be in the US. Many pet insurance companies will be happy to insure you for all the things you have listed, but it will cost you. You can Google VPI pet insurance and check their monthly rates.Finally, papers are the least thing you should worry about when looking for a pup. Good breeders do not breed first, then sell. They usually have a waiting list that begins the second they breathe the word "breed". Most if not all of the pups will be sold before they are even born.The parent breed clubs will list registered breeders on most of their sites, and these are the breeders you would not have to worry about having "legit" papers.I am sure one of the regulars will post for you a list of what to look for in a good breeder. Below is the only thing I have at my fingertips:http://ssmpr.org/Buying%20a%20Puppy.htm