Is Chocalote harmful to dogs?

Is Chocalote harmful to dogs?...
    General Dog Discussions : Is Chocalote harmful to dogs?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• yes and nohttp://www.talktothevet.com/ARTICLES/DOGS/chocolatetoxic.HTMread the article

• Yes in some cases it can be deadly. But don't freak if your dog ate a few Hersey kisses or something. I use to work at a emergency vet clinic and people would freak out about a few small pieces of chocolate and rush their dogs in. (not a bad thing at all). Bakers chocolate is the worst for dogs b/c of the high content of sugars and other ingredients in it. I would say to be safe than sorry don't allow your dog any chocolate at all. But if you dog does ingest chocolate and you don't know how much take him/her to the vet. I can cause death and or neurological side effects.

• Yes, chocolate is very harmful to dogs. It's okay if they accidentally eat a little piece, but it can kill them if they eat too much or it will make them very, very sick.

• yes, but it depends. Baking chocolate is the most dangerous because it isn't mixed with sugar and milk like other chocolates. You definitely shouldn't GIVE your dog chocolate, but if your pooch steals a hershey kiss out of a candy bowl, it's not going to do any damage. My 2 dogs ate an entire bowl full of kisses and andes mints (they managed to escape from their crates when I was at work) and neither even got so much as an upset tummy.

• Yes very!!! Please dont give it to your dogs.Theobromine poisoning or chocolate poisoning is an adverse reaction to the alkaloid theobromine, found in chocolate, tea, cola beverages, and some other foods. Cacao beans contain about 1.2% theobromine by weight, while processed chocolate generally has smaller amounts. The amount found in highly refined chocolate candies (typically 40-60 milligrams per ounce or 1.4 to 2.1 grams per kilogram) is much lower than that of dark chocolate or unsweetened baker's chocolate (over 400 mg/oz or 14 g/kg).The amount of theobromine found in chocolate is small enough that chocolate can be safely consumed by humans in large quantities, but animals that metabolize theobromine more slowly can easily consume enough chocolate to cause chocolate poisoning. The most common victims of theobromine poisoning are dogs (for which it can be fatal). Cats and especially kittens are yet more sensitive, and many other animals are also susceptible.The first signs of theobromine poisoning are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and increased urination. These can progress to cardiac arrhythmias, epileptic seizures, internal bleeding, heart attacks, and eventually death.Theobromine is especially toxic to horses, dogs, parrots, voles, and cats because they are unable to metabolize the chemical effectively. If they are fed chocolate, the theobromine will remain in their bloodstream for up to 20 hours. Medical treatment involves inducing vomiting within two hours of ingestion, or contacting a veterinarian.A typical 20 kg dog will normally experience intestinal distress after eating less than 240 g of dark chocolate, but won't necessarily experience bradycardia or tachyarrhythmia unless it eats at least a half a kilogram of milk chocolate. According to the Merck Veterinary Manual, approximately 1.3 g of baker's chocolate per kilogram of a dog's body weight (0.02 oz/lb) is sufficient to cause symptoms of toxicity. For example, a typical 25 gram baker's chocolate bar would be enough to bring out symptoms in a 20 kg dog.