Will My Dog Die????

My dog is a small Cocker Spaniel, about 20 pounds. And overnight she ate a chocolate bunny. I would say about 4 in by 1.5 in wide. She feels,OK,. but I don't want anything to happen to here. She is a little over 2 years old. thanks

Will My Dog Die????

My dog is a small Cocker Spaniel, about 20 pounds. And overnight she ate a chocolate bunny. I would say about 4 in by 1.5 in wide. She feels,OK,. but I don't want anything to happen to here. She is a little over 2 years old. thanks...
    General Dog Discussions : Will My Dog Die????...

• Will My Dog Die????

Will My Dog Die???? General Dog Discussions
      My dog is a small Cocker Spaniel, about 20 pounds. And overnight she ate a chocolate bunny. I would say about 4 in by 1.5 in wide. She feels,OK,. but I don't want anything to happen to here. She is a little over 2 years old. thanks

Will My Dog Die????

Will My Dog Die???? General Dog Discussions
    • probably not, but this is what i got from a website.We've all heard it, "Don't give your dog chocolate it will kill him". We'll how true is it you're probably wondering. Do I have to rush him to an emergency vet if he ate one of my M&M's?The truth is chocolate contains theobromine that is toxic to dogs in sufficient quantities. This is a xanthine compound in the same family of caffeine, and theophylline.Toxic LevelsThe good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.On average,Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems.Clinical SignsXanthines affect the nervous system, cardiovascular system and peripheral nerves. It has a diuretic effect as well. Clinical signs:Hyper excitabilityHyper irritabilityIncreased heart rateRestlessnessIncreased urinationMuscle tremorsVomitingDiarrheaTreatmentThere is no specific antidote for this poisoning. And the half life of the toxin is 17.5 hours in dogs. Induce vomiting in the first 1-2 hours if the quantity is unknown. Administering activated charcoal may inhibit absorption of the toxin. An anticonvulsant might be indicated if neurological signs are present and needs to be controlled. Oxygen therapy, intravenous medications, and fluids might be needed to protect the heart.Milk chocolate will often cause diarrhea 12-24 hours after ingestion. This should be treated symptomatically (fluids, etc..) to prevent dehydration.If you suspect your pet has ingested chocolate contact your Vet immediately! They can help you determine the the proper treatment for your pet.

• She might get an upset tummy, but she should be okay. Hide the chocolate better, she might not be so lucky next time. Call your vet just to check what he thinks.

• Hi. If it was me, I'd at least call my vet ASAP on this. I've seen a lot of conflicting info on the net about chocolate and how harmful it is. I do know certain breeds are more affected by it.What you do not want to happen is a late night emergency visit.

• not to be mean or anything but why haven't you taking your dog to the vet already? common sense!!!take your dog to the vet instead of being on here now!!!

• i dont think so however she may get a really bad stomach ache. phone your vet and see what they say. i know when my friends dogs ate chocolate she took them to the vets and they gave them an injection to make the be sick

• Chocolates are harmful for dogs. Because this contains such ingredient (theobromine) that cannot be metabolized by their system which leads to various complications in their Nervous system as well as in the heart muscle.Assess your dog. You can recognize that your dog has eaten a toxic dose ofchocolate from the symptoms. Within the first few hours, the evidence includes vomiting, diarrhea or hyperactivity. As time passes and there's an increased absorption of the toxic substance, you'll see an increase in the dog's heart rate, which can cause arrhythmia,restlessness, hyperactivity, muscle twitching, increasedurination or excessive panting. If any of these symptoms are present, notify your vet IMMEDIATELY.This can lead to hyperthermia (High fever) , muscle tremors, seizures, coma andeven death.

• Here's a reference on chocolate and it's toxicity according to type of chocolate and weight of dog:http://www.laurelwoodpetclinic.com/chocolatetoxicity.htmlSometimes it takes hrs for a dog to show signs of toxicity. This link will tell you what to watch for and what a Vet can do for her if she starts to show signs of toxicity.If it was milk chocolate, she will probably be fine, maybe have a bit of diarrhea.My GSD ate a whole bag of hershey's miniature candy bars, wrappers and all. She was fine. The Vet said he'd have worried about that amount had she been a SMALLER dog eating that much or had it been BAKER'S CHOCOLATE, which is lethal to dogs in very small amounts.A Maltese owner we know lost her dog when he ate eight pieces of dove dark chocolate. Dark chocolate is more toxic than milk chocolate. Baker's is the worst.

• probubly not she would have been feeling sick already i would just watch her really closely over the next day or so choclate can kill dogs it all depens on the amount of the chemical Theobromine.