Dogs eating chocolate...?

My mom put brownies in the gorage to cool down quicker. Well stupid on my moms part our dog got into it and ate about a small handful size of the brownies. they were made with bakers chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate. And he is a little over 20 pounds.…

My mom put brownies in the gorage to cool down quicker. Well stupid on my moms part our dog got into it and ate about a small handful size of the brownies. they were made with bakers chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate. And he is a little over 20 pounds.…...
    General Dog Discussions : Dogs eating chocolate...?...

• Dogs eating chocolate...?

Dogs eating chocolate...? General Dog Discussions
      My mom put brownies in the gorage to cool down quicker. Well stupid on my moms part our dog got into it and ate about a small handful size of the brownies. they were made with bakers chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate. And he is a little over 20 pounds. Will this be enough to kill him? or even affect him?

Dogs eating chocolate...? General Dog Discussions
    • Each holiday season, veterinarians witness an increase in accidental chocolate poisoning in dogs. The majority of pet owners do not realize the potential for intoxication that chocolate possesses.Theobromine, caffeine and theophylline are all naturally occurring molecules that are found in several foods, plants, beverages and human and veterinary medications.Based on the number of calls received by The National Animal Poison Control Center and the Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center, one of the most commonly encountered poisonings in pet dogs is theobromine, or chocolate, poisoning.Theobromine comes from the plant Theobroma cocoa and is present in chocolate, cocoa beans, cocoa bean hulls, cola and tea. Milk chocolate is obtained from seeds of theobroma cacao after fermentation and roasting. Milk chocolate has about 44 mg/ounce of theobromine; a 4.5 oz. milk chocolate bar has about 240 mgs. of theobromine. Unsweetened baking chocolate has even more -- about 390 to 450 mgs of theobromine per ounce.Relative theobromine content per ounce for various products is:Milk chocolate: 44 - 60 mgs/ounceUnsweetened baking chocolate: 450 mg/ozCacao meal: 300 - 900 mg/ozCacao beans: 300 - 1200 mg/ozHot chocolate: 13 mg/ozThe lethal dosage of theobromine in dogs is between 250 and 500 mgs/kg, or about 2/3 to 1 1/3 of baking chocolate for every 2.2 pounds of body weight. However, serious non-fatal poisonings have been reported in dogs after eating smaller amounts.At our practice, a 20-pound dachshund showed serious signs of poisoning after eating 3/4 of a pound of milk chocolate and another 22-pound dog died after eating two pounds of baking chocolate.Deaths due to theobromine have been documented in horses who ate cocoa bean hulls used in bedding and in other livestock fed cocoa waste products. No chocolate poisonings have been reported in cats, which is probably a reflection of their eating habits.The the first signs of chocolate poisoning are vomiting and diarrhea, increased urination and nausea. These can progress to cardiac arrhythmias and seizures.Dogs definitely have a sweet tooth. Dog-proof for home to keep your dog safe. Milk chocolate should never be given to your pet and it should be kept well out of reach. Unsweetened baking chocolate should be kept in closed containers in upper, latched cupboards.If your dog eats potentially dangerous amounts of chocolate and you can get the pet to your vet within two hours, vomiting can be induced to remove the poison. If longer than two hours has passed, the animal may need to be seen and treated.Direct any questions you may have to your veterinarian, regional poison control center, or the National Animal Poison Information Center at The University of Illinois in Urbana which provides computer-supported telephone consultation for potential poisonings.http://www.napcc.aspca.org/ or call the toll free number(888) 252-7387.It is our responsibility to keep our animals safe. Protect your dogs from their own sweet tooth. Occasional treats are okay, but keep your dog away from candy bars.

• He should be alright. Keep an eye on him see if he starts showing signs of being sick. If your really worried you can call a local vet and tell them what happend they will usually give you advise over the phone.

• Just keep an eye on him. He may get a touch of diareaha or upset stomach. If it gets too bad or if he stops eating and drinking for more than 24 hrs. call a vet.Good Luck

• One time my dog got into a whole bag of Hershey's chocolate chips. she at about 1/3 of the bag until i found her eating it. she weighs about 30 pounds. all it did was make her extremely hyper as if she did some cocaine. but that's all she was fine, so you shouldn't worry about it your dog will be fine.

• i don't really know know but i think it might make your dog a little sick....anyways i had a 100 pound dog a long time ago and we had baked 3 dozen chocolate chip cookies and let we let them sit out on the kitchen table to cool over night well my dog knocked all the cookies off the table and ate them all nothing happened to him but then again he was a bigger dog>>

• last week my golden retriever puppy ate 2 pounds of dark chocolate and shes only 2 months, she through up like 8 times so we took her to the vet and they said that she could stay over night but it cost 500 dollars so we decided to keep her home and the next day she was fine..so just keep an eye on her and hopefully she will be ok.

• It shouldn't but just in case it does call the vet a.s.a.p! I have a little schipperke she's 2 years old we always give her alot of chocolate it never effected her so your little dog should be fine.