A breeder suggested using Flagel for giardia.?

I have been told you must sterilize your home or the dog will become re-infected. Also that I should never have puppies born in my home as they will also catch this parasite. Is this true?

I have been told you must sterilize your home or the dog will become re-infected. Also that I should never have puppies born in my home as they will also catch this parasite. Is this true?...
    General Dog Discussions : A breeder suggested using Flagel for giardia.?...

• A breeder suggested using Flagel for giardia.?

A breeder suggested using Flagel for giardia.? General Dog Discussions
      I have been told you must sterilize your home or the dog will become re-infected. Also that I should never have puppies born in my home as they will also catch this parasite. Is this true?

A breeder suggested using Flagel for giardia.? General Dog Discussions
    • I would ask your vet what to use to get rid of it but Giardia is usually obtained when dogs drink out of contaminated puddles outside. I wouldnt have any puppies until the giardia problem is fixed, but even if you do the vet has medicines that treat giardia, but that can be costly if you have a big litter.

• Most breeders have giardia on their property. Giardia is treated with Flagyl 25 to 30mg/kg for at least 5 days or Panacur 50mg/kg for 3 days or both together. The most common treatment for Giardia is with Flagyl. You should try to disinfect areas where your dog has been. A lot of adults have giardia but are not clinical. Giardia occurs almost anywhere there is water. It is very hard to see Giardia under the microscope, and some vets will treat a puppy with the runs, for Giardia if they are having symptoms. There is a Giardia vaccine out now and it can be pricey. Look here about a study on the vaccine with a controlled group of dogs. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=545982 The vaccine does not prevent a dog from getting Giardia, it has been said that it helps with the symptoms. They say that using both the vaccine and Flagyl, might help speed up the recovery from Giardia. Be careful with Giardia because it can be transmitted to humans! I myself was tested a few years ago for Giardia when I was ill as we have a kennel.Also to Alicia, Flagyl is NOT an expensive antibiotic!!!

• Giardia is transmitted via feces or contact with fecal matter which is often in contaminated water supply. Flagyl is what is commonly used to treat it. When you get your dog treated by a Vet, the Vet will give you the correct dosage of medicine for your dog to make sure the parisites are gotten rid of. A person can get giardia if for example you handle the infected puppy and it has some fecal material on it which you might not even see. Make sure that you wash your hands very good when handling your puppy. You can also get some Purell or something like that for after washing. Puppies born in the home does not mean they will have giardia. Just keep in mind how it is transmitted. It's stubborn to treat but when the puppy is clear they will be fine.You do want to clean your home, mop your floors with disinfectant. Any sheets or blankets a puppy sleeps on should be washed in Lysol, the kind you can add to the washing machine. Or white sheets can have bleach added. I got a puppy from a city pound that had Giardia. My other dogs did not get it and neither did any humans. We kept things clean and started her treatment as soon as the Vet determined what was wrong. We treated the area where the puppies were and did the hand washing etc. before the diagnosis so we were safe even though the puppy had it.Here's an article on Giardia:http://www.vetinfo.com/dgiardia.html#giardia

• I believe that my vet gave me the same thing when my dog had that, but I was never told I had to sterilize anything or that my dog would be re-infected. It was almost 2 years ago and she never got it again.

• Are you TOTALLY ignorant of ANY sort of animal husbandry??? Do you even know WHAT giardia *IS*??? How it is contracted? What PROPER treatment consists of??Lordy,I sure PRAY that you GET OFF this STUPID site & do some ***RESEARCH****!!!!Like...geeeeeeze.....TALK to a VET????Novel idea,eh?