What do trained lead dogs sell for?

I'm wondering how much well trained, experienced lead sled dogs sell for? Dogs that know all the commands, such as gee, haw, on by, hike, slow, faster, etc?Would it matter on the breed/mix, also?

I'm wondering how much well trained, experienced lead sled dogs sell for? Dogs that know all the commands, such as gee, haw, on by, hike, slow, faster, etc?Would it matter on the breed/mix, also?...
    General Dog Discussions : What do trained lead dogs sell for?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What do trained lead dogs sell for?

What do trained lead dogs sell for? General Dog Discussions
      I'm wondering how much well trained, experienced lead sled dogs sell for? Dogs that know all the commands, such as gee, haw, on by, hike, slow, faster, etc?Would it matter on the breed/mix, also?

What do trained lead dogs sell for? General Dog Discussions
    • Up in Alaska, good experienced sled dogs, mixed or not, sell for a pretty high price. Mainly Huskies, Malamutes, Samoyeds, Greenland Dogs, and Shepherds are used but sometimes other dogs or mixes are used.I've seen them sold for up to $1500+ but these are dogs that are around 2-4 years. Only good mushers will pay that much for a sled dog though.

• Sled dogs? That depends on a lot of factors... the biggest of which is whether YOU are known and respected in the sled dog community and if these dogs have been on teams that have won anything - also on fickle market factors.Purebred dogs are rarely used as sled dogs, but breeding matters a LOT.Honestly, one of the sled dog greats should be quoted to you before you consider going into sled dogs as a hobby much less as a business - "Sled dogs? I would have been better off with heroine, it's cheaper and less addictive.""Pro" mushers have sponsors and day-jobs. Even if you managed to sell a top-winning dog for $10,000 (after they led you to a Rondy win, for example), you would have spent two to ten or more times that in dogs, sleds, food, missed work, a dog truck, gas, travel expenses, etc. The more typical is $400-1000 paid for a started yearling dog - after you've incurred a year's worth of vet fees, feed bills, and a few hundred hours on the trail with them. Pups go for even less.