How do I go about moving my 4 year old dog from the bed to the floor?

I have a 4 year old dog that has been sleeping with me from day one. My boyfriend and I are moving into a place together and I need to move my dog from the bed to the floor (on a doggy bed). I am a little nervous however to do so because she has never…

I have a 4 year old dog that has been sleeping with me from day one. My boyfriend and I are moving into a place together and I need to move my dog from the bed to the floor (on a doggy bed). I am a little nervous however to do so because she has never…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do I go about moving my 4 year old dog from the bed to the floor?...

• How do I go about moving my 4 year old dog from the bed to the floor?

How do I go about moving my 4 year old dog from the bed to the floor? General Dog Discussions
      I have a 4 year old dog that has been sleeping with me from day one. My boyfriend and I are moving into a place together and I need to move my dog from the bed to the floor (on a doggy bed). I am a little nervous however to do so because she has never had to sleep on a floor before. I want to do this the right way the first time. Crate training and moving her to a different room is NOT an option.

How do I go about moving my 4 year old dog from the bed to the floor? General Dog Discussions
    • Normally I would say crate but seeing that you dont want to I would say tough love if he tries to sleep on the bed kick him off and tell him to sleep on the ground in the dog bed start by placing the bed near yours and reward him every time he sleeps there then little by little move the bed further away from yours

• Get her an Orvis Dog's Nest, put her in it on your bed for a night or two, then on the floor right next to your bed. Part of her desire to be on the bed with you is "puppy coziness" so expect some complaints. When I got married, my hubby's 65 lb Dalmatian Smudge was similarly displaced, as was my 16 lb tough as nails cat Herbie. They eventually became buddies, amazingly! But, when it got to 15 below outside we had 2 big dogs, 2 big cats and us on a double bed. Afghan spread over all of us. In the warmer weather everyone but us and the cats slept on the Orvis nests. We've had 8 more dogs since, but none were allowed on the bed with us. They sleep in our bedroom, though, on their nests. The nests are pricey, but worth it. Our current Dal Connie, has a bed in the bedroom, one next to the heater downstairs, and one in the sunroom. Spoiled rotten! She also has blankies we put over her at night (yes it's very cold where we live) good luck!

• Because you've left it so late you're going to have very limited success and even if you do get her to sleep on the floor most of the time she'll still jump up occasionally. Just try to get the most comfortable dog bed you can find and give her a few comfort things (one of my dogs sleeps with her teddy and if she loses it she pines and doesn't sleep). If she jumps up be firm and put her back of the floor. I know it's easier said than done because we always feel guilty about it, but make sure you tell her to get off every time, rather than just letting her up every now and again when you feel like it.Hope this helps :)