What is the minimum age to breed your dog?

My dog is only 9 months and in her first heat, and I know 9 months is way to early to breed, and you are not suppost to breed on the first heat. What is the youngest age to breed?

My dog is only 9 months and in her first heat, and I know 9 months is way to early to breed, and you are not suppost to breed on the first heat. What is the youngest age to breed?...
    General Dog Discussions : What is the minimum age to breed your dog?...

• What is the minimum age to breed your dog?

What is the minimum age to breed your dog? General Dog Discussions
      My dog is only 9 months and in her first heat, and I know 9 months is way to early to breed, and you are not suppost to breed on the first heat. What is the youngest age to breed?

What is the minimum age to breed your dog? General Dog Discussions
    • 1) Why do you want to breed her at all? Is she a papered and purebred dog or are you just looking to make a buck?2) No responsible breeder would consider breeding a dog before the age of 2 - they need to develop their bone structure and muscles in order to have pups.

• Why do you want to breed. If you have to ask you have no business doing so. Your dog is clearly not being showed probably wont go through genetic testing so you'll be another BYB making a profit. Spay her after her heat. Breeding is NOT a source of income.

• She should be at least two years of age depending on the breed. If it's a smaller or medium sized dog about 2 years. If it's a large dog you should wait until she is 3 as to ensure that she is done growing and the puppies don't suck calcium from her still growing bones.

• Have you titled your dog in show or working sports? Did the parents have titles atleast five generations back in their pedigrees?Does it even have a pedigree?Has it passed at least the five basic health certificates (heart, eyes, thyroid, hips and elbows) And did at least the parents also?If not or if you don't plan to do this, don't breed your dog. There are enough unwanted animals in shelters and rescues. Better a breed or don't breed at all. Please.

• What is up with people on here when it comes to people wanting to breed their own dogs?To me it seems like all the negative comments are coming from professional breeders who are worried about losing income?At least she has had had the intelligence to ask rather than just breed to young.Not sure if your from the UK or USA seems there is more of a problem homing dogs in the USA.EDIT* haha 2 thumbs down, probably from pro breedersDon't breed her yet BTW it is too young, try to find a mentor, ask your vet, get some good advice before breeding her.And the point raised about having cash for vet fees is a good one not worth risking the life of your baby if there are complications.BTW my 2 yr old chihuahua is nursing 4 healthy pups she delivered a few days ago, (yes they're all homed, yes my vet has checked over the new family).All I can say is RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH and it will still be a million times more hard work, tiring, nerve wracking than you could ever expect.But good luck if you do decide to breed when she is ready.