Does anyone here cook for their dog?

We just got our first dog and the previous owner gave us a large bag of dry dogfood. They recommended that we keep away from canned food because it makes the poop mushy.So I went to the library to learn about dog food and I got many books, including a…

We just got our first dog and the previous owner gave us a large bag of dry dogfood. They recommended that we keep away from canned food because it makes the poop mushy.So I went to the library to learn about dog food and I got many books, including a…...
    General Dog Discussions : Does anyone here cook for their dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Does anyone here cook for their dog?

Does anyone here cook for their dog? General Dog Discussions
      We just got our first dog and the previous owner gave us a large bag of dry dogfood. They recommended that we keep away from canned food because it makes the poop mushy.So I went to the library to learn about dog food and I got many books, including a cookbook for dogs. Some books advise to stay away from "all breed", "all purpose" dog food and other books that say any type of dry dog food will do. I'm really confused now and wonder is there anyone out there that actually cooks for their dog? Once you start doing that, will the dog refuse regular dog food?Note of interest: One book stated that cooking should only require an hour a week for the food prep. The main point I read that has me considering this is that a properly fed dog will not need so many vet appts. (healthier) and therefore end up saving you lots of money on vet bills.For my breed of dog, it's mainly brown rice & chicken.

Does anyone here cook for their dog? General Dog Discussions
    • Doggie cookbooks are for those people who spoil their pets, namely women or couples without children that need something to dote on.Everyone i know just feeds their pets dry dog food, or if they're the smaller kind, wet.But I definitely see the possibility of spoiling happening. That's why you shouldn't feed dogs table scraps, because they come to expect it and wait at the dinner table whenever you eat there.

• To be honest, no, I don't cook for my dog. I wish I had time for it, but I don't. My great grandmother used to give her dog ice water (only) and cooked him a steak every Friday! Her dog was her baby. My opinion is if you have the time to cook for your dog, then it's probably better for them. And yes, they probably would get spoiled and not prefer eating regular dog food. I have a friend, who's mother uses a combination of dry food and people food. Her vet gave her a special diet for her dog and he loved it!

• i cooked for my dog, i gave him a cow liver. the reason is the cow liver is fresh,healthy and cheap. by the way, your dog wouldn't refuse dogfood once you give them cooked food. if they still refused it, just don't give them food for one day andthey will eat the dogfood.

• we tried almost every brand and type of food on the market for our dog. he refuses to eat anything apart from chicken and oddly enough brussels sprouts. he actually did not eat anything at all for 3 days until we finally gave up and tried that. so the mistaken belief that if you leave a dog long enough they'll get hungry enough to eat whatever you give them is obviously false. we cook chicken every other or every third day for him and remove it from the bones and throw in a couple brussels sprouts and he's fine. he's very energetic and the vet said he's healthy so i guess it's ok to feed him what he's willing to eat.

• its called BARF and its based on a raw food diet. I personally wouldnt recomned it for my own reasons such as you can get bad meat (same with dry food but it rarely kills a dog with dry food). Also they say that its like a wolf diet. Wolves and dogs are separate species for a reason. Please understand that dogs are omnivores with different nutritional needs than a wolf. It is true you should not buy all purpose dog food. Very crappy stuff.Also it is true. Canned food is the leading cause of runny poop lol.

• Yep...I've always cooked for my dogs! Canned dog food is pretty disgusting (I know I wouldn't want to eat it!) ..it isn't that difficult to boil a chicken - and heck a minute more and you've got the rice! Much healthier for them and less expensive than the processed garbage! I have 2 dogs who will never refuse a meal, but they kinda give you that look like' Where the hell's my chicken and rice?" when you give them "regular dog food" ! A regular size chicken mixed with about 3 cups of rice will last pretty much most of the week (you also add some quality dry in as well-at feeding time)...I'm not a fanatic about cooking for em, but I believe their worth it and they seem to like it ALOT more! Good Luck!

• my dog eats anything. when we have dinner, there is a plate for the dog. my dog usually eats susages with eggs. he h8s canned food and thinks its low quality. my dog refused to eat cold tasteless dogfood in the first place and started eating human food when he was very young. tonight tuna and chesse is on the menu...

• do not give your dog these choclate fish or raw meat chocolate will kill them but carrots and bread are okay also can food isnt bad depending on your dog and the brand dog food my dogs like kibbles so i recommend that for your dog

• I give my dog what i have for meals and she seems ok with that. But remember not to give your dog salty food if you don't want your dog to be itchy all the time

• I've done it when my Golden had dental surgery and couldn't have dry food. I bought a couple of whole chickens and baked them without any seasoning, then de-boned them..and cooked up a whole bunch of brown rice. I'd just warm it up a little in the microwave with a little water before feeding time.If you're going to "cook" for your dog, you need to add in some slightly cooked carrots to this, and you have a healthy meal. I don't do it because I never have in the past. I'd love to get myself to the point that I can. I don't know that commercial dog food is actually all that great for them.Note: Avoid onions, garlic, chocolate, and turkey. The first three can be toxic and the last one seems to be a little too fatty for my dogs....makes poop scooping a challenge.

• Buy a premium dry dog food like INNOVA. They have one (EVO) that is the closest thing you can get to a raw food diet. The dogs really like the EVO kibble.Also, it's okay to occasionally give egg, veggies (carrots, frozen peas, etc.) as treats. When I cook chicken or hamburger I have been known to put a little aside before adding seasoning to the rest and stir some up for my pupster. But don't make it a habit.

• We do cook for our dogs and they love it! However they will never refuse kibble. Can't say if they're healthier eating home-cooked food but at least I don't feed them what's bad for them (liver, yeast, etc.) taking into account their breed needs and know that the ingredients are the same as for the rest of the family members.

• yep we cook for our dog, all scraps from our table go into big pot and then when enough we cook it all up, put it in ice cream containers and feed the dogs:half and half of either dry/dogroll/canned and the scrap mix...they are fit healthy with lovely shiney coats...we also throw in an egg or two once a week.Forget the cookbooks they are just money spinners.

• I worked for Hill's Science Diet. With all due respect to your other learned answerers...cooking for your dog is not a good idea. Their digestive system is different from ours and requires a different combination of nutrients. Feeding your dog people food will actually increase the amount of veterinary care he/she needs. People food creates, heart issues, brittle bones, and digestive problems. Several people foods will kill your dog -- chocolate, garlic, and many others. The fact is that dog food must undergo more rigerous testing than people food - FDA regulations. The research budget for dog food companies is the largest single expenditure they have.Also, changing food on dogs gives them digestive problems so if you cook the dog different things you are shocking the system -- and shortening their life -- everytime you feed him/her something different. Think of it this way -- would you eat dogfood...it is not made for your physical needs...just like people food is not made for their physical needs.It will also take less time to feed your dog dry dogfood than to cook.Good Luck.