What kind of dog would work well as a service dog?

I'm investigating getting a dog that we would train to be a service dog for my daughter who has some psychiatric problems, specifically depression anxiety and ODD. Are there specific breeds that are commonly used for this type of service?

I'm investigating getting a dog that we would train to be a service dog for my daughter who has some psychiatric problems, specifically depression anxiety and ODD. Are there specific breeds that are commonly used for this type of service?...
    General Dog Discussions : What kind of dog would work well as a service dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What kind of dog would work well as a service dog?

What kind of dog would work well as a service dog? General Dog Discussions
      I'm investigating getting a dog that we would train to be a service dog for my daughter who has some psychiatric problems, specifically depression anxiety and ODD. Are there specific breeds that are commonly used for this type of service?

What kind of dog would work well as a service dog? General Dog Discussions
    • Golden Retriever would be your best option in my opinion, very loyal, calm, loving, intelligent dogs.German Shepherds and labs are also commonly used for service.edit: If youre just looking for a loving, playful dog that is sure to give your child lots of luaghs, pugs are great for that^^

• My service dog (for most of the same things) is an APBT.However, it's generally a Golden Retriever, German Shep (or close relative), or Labrador. These are most often though because most service dogs are for PHYSICAL disabilities like wheelchair bound people or deaf/blind. Psychiatric service dogs can be just about any breed. It's really about the training. Pick a breed your daughter likes, but that is also intelligent, human and animal friendly, and is generally calm...and yes, your child CAN have a service dog for psychiatric disabilities. I'm well familiarized with the ADA laws (providing you live in the US) & and can give you a lot of good links or info. If you would like, you can email me. [email protected]

• Your child can't have a service dogshe's not disabled. Super Special Snowflake Syndrome and depression and anxiety are NOT disabilities. you are just getting a dog, lying about it being a service animal just so you can haul the dog aroundIf your daughter was really disabled then you would be able to get a real service dog from a service dog provider but since being depressed having anxiety and Super Special Snowflake Syndrome is not a disabilities she can't have oneA service dog will do nothing at all for any of her 'disabilities 'what is it with all the people as of late who want a pet that they can lie and claim is a service dog just to haul around? Is it attention thing?