13 Weeks German Shepherd puppy will only eat solid dog food one tiny bit at a time?

we used to feed her meat rice and bones but then the doctor ordered to keep all bones away from her because they can get stuck in her teeth or throat. the vet recommended we use solid dog food "which looks a lot like cornflakes" but the problem is she…

13 Weeks German Shepherd puppy will only eat solid dog food one tiny bit at a time?

we used to feed her meat rice and bones but then the doctor ordered to keep all bones away from her because they can get stuck in her teeth or throat. the vet recommended we use solid dog food "which looks a lot like cornflakes" but the problem is she…...
    General Dog Discussions : 13 Weeks German Shepherd puppy will only eat solid dog food one tiny bit at a time?...

• 13 Weeks German Shepherd puppy will only eat solid dog food one tiny bit at a time?

13 Weeks German Shepherd puppy will only eat solid dog food one tiny bit at a time? General Dog Discussions
      we used to feed her meat rice and bones but then the doctor ordered to keep all bones away from her because they can get stuck in her teeth or throat. the vet recommended we use solid dog food "which looks a lot like cornflakes" but the problem is she would not eat it out of the bowl, and she will only have it one tiny "flake" at a time, so in order for her to have a meal it usually takes forever and i have to place the little seperate "flakes" for her on the floor so she could pick them up.

13 Weeks German Shepherd puppy will only eat solid dog food one tiny bit at a time? General Dog Discussions
    • Allow more time for your puppy to adapt and accept the change of diet.There is no need to worry because your pupuy will start to eat hen he gets too hungry. Stick to feeding him the new type food as the doctor's advice is sound and good.

• Flaked dog food is not very appetizing to say the least.Try your pup on a good complete pellet kind of puppy food and mix a small amount of raw minced chicken or lamb with it to add more taste.My gsd pup has pro-plan by Purina and always eats it all.I even mix a bit of tinned meat in with it at times for a change.Contrary to what some folk believe I have always given my dogs and pups a Knuckle bone to gnaw on and never had any problems with doing this.

• [Teko Dd] and [roger] have a LOT to learn!A pup should have a gnaw bone last thing EVERY night.Especially a GSD pup.A raw gnaw bone (such as a lamb chop or part of an oxtail or part of a sheep-spine) not only gives Pup something to do while you are boringly asleep, the gnawing also: exercises the facial muscles that control its ears, cleans its teeth, dislodges deciduous teeth, helps permanent teeth break through the gum - and any bits digested have the perfect calcium : phosphorous balance.I think you should also try to find a better educated vet.Yes, bones CAN cause problems, and you should NEVER give your pet fish-needles or baked/roasted bones. In addition, the leg-bones of large beasts (such as beef beasts) are FAR too thick & solid for most dogs to get through - so ignore what your supermarket probably sets out as "dog bones".But in all my years with dogs (I started with a "Focker" in 1950) the only problem has been that about 3 times in my life, a dog has chomped a rib-bone so that the centre-section gets jammed between its upper P4s (the axe-shaped teeth well back in the mouth). So I put the other dogs outside, sit that dog between my knees, open its mouth, and use a finger to pull that bit of bone down - whereupon the dog picks it up from the floor and continues chomping it down to "swallow size".My dogs LOVE me when I arrive home with KFC - the bones are soft to start with, and the pressure cooking used by KFC softens them more. If you know people who shoot hares & rabbits, see whether they will let you have spare carcasses.• Add http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/The_GSD_Source to your browser's Bookmarks or Favorites so that you can easily look up such as rescue groups, feeding, vaccinations, worming, clubs, weights, teething, neutering, disorders, genetics.See it's Feeding section for the long-proven Diet_Sheet, and for the research on Bloat that shows that the period in which bloat escalated is the same 35 year period in which kibbles went from virtually-unknown to virtually-universal.• To ask about GSDs, join some of the 400+ YahooGroups dedicated to various aspects of living with them. Each group's Home page tells you which aspects they like to discuss, and how active they are. Unlike YA, they are set up so that you can have an ongoing discussion with follow-up questions for clarification. Most allow you to include photos in your messages.Les P, owner of GSD_Friendly: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/GSD_Friendly"In GSDs" as of 1967