Is it true that docking a dog's tail increases or decreases the chances of hip dysplasia ?

I always come across people saying that docking a dog's tail increases or decrease it's chances to get hip dysplasia, is it true or not? Or is it only in certain breeds like rotties for example?

Is it true that docking a dog's tail increases or decreases the chances of hip dysplasia ?

I always come across people saying that docking a dog's tail increases or decrease it's chances to get hip dysplasia, is it true or not? Or is it only in certain breeds like rotties for example?...
    General Dog Discussions : Is it true that docking a dog's tail increases or decreases the chances of hip dysplasia ?...

• Is it true that docking a dog's tail increases or decreases the chances of hip dysplasia ?

Is it true that docking a dog's tail increases or decreases the chances of hip dysplasia ? General Dog Discussions
      I always come across people saying that docking a dog's tail increases or decrease it's chances to get hip dysplasia, is it true or not? Or is it only in certain breeds like rotties for example?

Is it true that docking a dog's tail increases or decreases the chances of hip dysplasia ? General Dog Discussions
    • There can be problems associated with docking the tail too short, though that typically results in problems with the nerves in the back. There should be 2-4 vertebrae minimum (a stub of a tail).

• I have poodles that have docked tails and my dogs come from parents that have certified hips so I have never had a poodle with hip dysplasia so I would say no docking does not cause it. One more thing I have been involved with dogs now for 25 yrs and this is the first time I have ever heard this silly statement.

• No, it is not true of any breed that may be affected by hip dysplasia [HD].HD a genetic malformation of the hip joint [ball & socket] that the dog was born with which can be exacerbated by environmental factors such as hard impact exercise/over exercise in the rapid growth stage of a puppy/adolescent dog's skeletal development or obesity.Docking is a procedure to remove a portion a pup's tail at 2/3 days or thereabouts customarily at the first or second joint.