how much protein can a dog tolerate?

i have a 7.5 year old bullmastiff x pitbull x rottweiler. he has lost alot of weight he went from 80 to 69 pounds because of diherea from contamination of his old food. Now that he is gettingf better and no more diherea i brought some grain free…

i have a 7.5 year old bullmastiff x pitbull x rottweiler. he has lost alot of weight he went from 80 to 69 pounds because of diherea from contamination of his old food. Now that he is gettingf better and no more diherea i brought some grain free…...
    General Dog Discussions : how much protein can a dog tolerate?...

• how much protein can a dog tolerate?

how much protein can a dog tolerate? General Dog Discussions
      i have a 7.5 year old bullmastiff x pitbull x rottweiler. he has lost alot of weight he went from 80 to 69 pounds because of diherea from contamination of his old food. Now that he is gettingf better and no more diherea i brought some grain free earthborn primitive which has 38% crude protein and 20% crude fat. He is a very energetic dog and gets mistaken for a puppy because he looks so young and is always bouncing around hes been to the vet twice this year and they found no health problems they even thoght he was around four or five years old and when I told them how old he was they ask me was I sure? because he looks so young. But I mainly want to know is that too much protein? and will it cause live damage? right away or does this kind of thing happens over time? I plan to switch to a food with less protein after this 15 pound bag is done. He dosent do alot of activity.Will this food be good to gain his weight back? and once he gains it back i think i might switch to taste of the wild.Here is a video of himhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l_PJoritd4i meant to say liver damage

how much protein can a dog tolerate? General Dog Discussions
    • No, he's fine. The excess protein may contribute to his bouncing off the walls but if he has healthy kidneys, bladder, and liver then the protein will not cause harm.There is a myth that "too much protein" causes organ problems in dogs. It is know understood that those dogs that developed those problems probably had weak or otherwise compromised organs to begin with. Dogs fed a proper raw diet get arguably as much if not more protein than a high quality, grain free kibble and they're about as healthy as they come. Wild canids eat a crap load of protein.Protein = muscle and energy, that's all. Too much protein makes a dog energetic. If he gets enough exercise to burn it off that is of course optimal, but as long as he isn't destructively or obnoxiously bored it really doesn't matter.He'll probably gain weight on just about any food seeing as his problem was medical and not metabolic. This level of protein is usually only recommended for working dogs, but again, only because they need the extra energy. It is harmless to feed this to your dog, and should help him put on some lean muscle. It's far better than a carb-loaded grain based kibble.

• If your dog does well with his diet than I would keep him on it regardless of what the diet was.There are ALOT of myths that high protein diets cause kidney failure or decrease kidney function, or are not good for dogs with kidney problems. All of which is false, high protein diets have recently been proven to increase kidney function. You don't see feral dogs raiding corn fields. They are much more likely to go after that farmer's chickens or sheep. It is only appropriate that canines eat meat. I have never heard of a high protein diet causing decreased liver function or liver damage. Livers filter out toxins and damage was most likely caused by the contaminated food if he does have liver damage. In that case I would probably try to find a diet that is reliably free of chemical preservatives with minimal processing and a low recall history.People must think that I work for Champion petfood because I'm always touting their products. The reality is I don't have time to raw feed and it's gotten amazing results for me. Orijen is a high protein food with minimal processing and all natural preservatives. Most of their meats are free range or fresh caught. Acana, also made by them, is also a great food with a lower protein percentage. Hope this helps!