I have a 20 week old springer spaniel cross beagle should i be giving it leftover?

At the moment i am giving it leftover meats from our plates as it need feeding up and so far apart from pork everything agrees with her. I know not to overfeed her but a little leftover meat wont make her fat trust me my parents dog is overweight and on…

I have a 20 week old springer spaniel cross beagle should i be giving it leftover?

At the moment i am giving it leftover meats from our plates as it need feeding up and so far apart from pork everything agrees with her. I know not to overfeed her but a little leftover meat wont make her fat trust me my parents dog is overweight and on…...
    General Dog Discussions : I have a 20 week old springer spaniel cross beagle should i be giving it leftover?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I have a 20 week old springer spaniel cross beagle should i be giving it leftover?

I have a 20 week old springer spaniel cross beagle should i be giving it leftover? General Dog Discussions
      At the moment i am giving it leftover meats from our plates as it need feeding up and so far apart from pork everything agrees with her. I know not to overfeed her but a little leftover meat wont make her fat trust me my parents dog is overweight and on a diet designed by the vet!!!!!! Could i give the dog vegetables? I am feeding her dry food complete as it agrees with her no smelly mess e.t.c she is slowly putting weight on she is upto date with her injections, worm,flea doses. I think her breed makes it difficult to put weight on any advice pleaseoh i am sorry she only gets the leftover after we clear up she doesnt get it while we are at the tableI am so sorry my dog is a springer spaniel cross basset not beagle i am sorry i always confuse the two breeds.

I have a 20 week old springer spaniel cross beagle should i be giving it leftover? General Dog Discussions
    • A little bit of leftovers isn't necessarily bad for her, but do be prepared to have a dog who is a beggar when you eat (when she gets older) because she has realized that she gets to eat people food, too. That's one reason why it's really best not to feed a lot of leftover food. If you want to give her a treat, I suggest getting the small cans of peas and carrots and mixing that into her food occasionally. Its very good for her and all dogs seem to love it!

• "Susie Q":Learn to train your dogs to be well-mannered.My dogs LOVE KFC, but they do NOT attempt to steal it from me - they choose a spot where they can lie and look at me imploringly while I suck all the meat off then throw them a bone or 5 - they feel rewarded with just a single rib-bone, but naturally they consider a rib bone or brisket superior- - - - - - - - - - - - - -"sexiebum":Dogs are canids, and canids (coyotes, dogs, foxes, jackals, wolves) are carnivores.That means that their digestive system is suited to animal protein, whether as carrion or as freshly killed birds, eggs, fish, insects, mammals, reptiles. But the canid digestive system lacks the enzymes to digest uncooked plant proteins, and even if those enzymes were available the canid digestive system is too short to give the enzymes time to work.In the course of domestication the dog evolved slightly to make good use of leftovers aka cooked table scraps - meat & veges & fruits - but it still cannot make good use of uncooked plant proteins (a b.itch I'd sold used to get skinny each autumn; her owner then worked out that she was stealing plums off the neighbour's tree where its branches crossed the fence, and those plums were pushing everything through, providing taste but not nutrition).The best source of meat is raw and still on the small bones (ribs, briskets) of sheep-sized animals, or the complete carcass of smaller animals (chooks, mice, rats, rabbits).The only cautions are on COOKED bones - pressure cooking is fine but baking/roasting makes them too brittle - and I completely ban the needle bones of fish but fish-heads seem to be okay.I cannot recommend amounts for your cross-breed, but at 20 weeks my GSD pups should still be on a 3-meals-a-day regime of:Breakfast: milk-mix plus meat (4ozs/120gms at 2 months rising to 16ozs/450gms at 5 months)Lunch or Dinner: milk-mix plus dog-biscuit or baked kibbleSupper: milk-mix plus meat & a gnaw-boneThe milk mix is a mix of baby powders (about 5-5½kg of Baby Custard, Baby Rice, Farex, Baby Muesli - for bulk & flavours) + Complan (250gms for vitamins & minerals) + veterinary calcium (125gms) beaten into full-cream milk.Gnaw bones should NOT be full of marrow - such amounts will give a puppy diarrhoea. Knobbly spine & tail-bones are great. The purpose of gnaw-bones is 3-fold: (a) exercise the facial muscles, (b) give the pup "something" to do while by itself, (c) help dislodge deciduous teeth and assist the eruption of the permanent teeth.At 6 months that drops to:Breakfast: milk-mix plus dog-biscuitSupper: meat (from 1lb/450gms to 3lbs/1.4kg depending on exercise & condition ) & a gnaw-boneStudy http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf to help you work out the age at which to have her neutered - there is no hard-&-fast "best age", but the possible advantages & possible consequences vary according to the age at which it is done.Les P, owner of GSD_Friendly: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/GSD_Friendly"In GSDs" as of 1967