I want a pet sheep??

Hi, my siblings and I really want a lamb for some reason, but the thing is we live in California in the Bay Area. Like near San Francisco. Our backyard is pretty big and we have 2 cats but they won't do anything to it. Is it legal or illegal?? My parents…

I want a pet sheep??

Hi, my siblings and I really want a lamb for some reason, but the thing is we live in California in the Bay Area. Like near San Francisco. Our backyard is pretty big and we have 2 cats but they won't do anything to it. Is it legal or illegal?? My parents…...
    General Dog Discussions : I want a pet sheep??...

• I want a pet sheep??

I want a pet sheep?? General Dog Discussions
      Hi, my siblings and I really want a lamb for some reason, but the thing is we live in California in the Bay Area. Like near San Francisco. Our backyard is pretty big and we have 2 cats but they won't do anything to it. Is it legal or illegal?? My parents are fine with it (they probably don't think we're serious). So is there someone I need to call to find out. I'm afraid if I call the police station they'll think I'm joking.

I want a pet sheep??

I want a pet sheep?? General Dog Discussions
    • First of lambs are not the cute little sweet story book characters they ARE wild. You can have 10 sheep per acre (not including a barn) if you want "pets" you'll need to either get a ewe (female) or a wether (castrated/neutered male) DON'T get a ram because they are EXTREMELY dangerous even if they are bottle babies!!! Wethers aren't as moody as the ewes but they can get a Urinary Calculi, which is where little stones form in the urinary tract restricting them from urinating. The only way to fix this is surgery and it usually doesn't work. Also you HAVE to get two!! If you get one it will be too lonely and eventually die.Second you'll need to decide your breed. If you want meat get a Suffolk, Hampshire, or Dorpers. Dorpers are hair sheep so you don't have to shear them. If you want wool sheep get a Merino or Rambouillet. And if you want a Dairy sheep get an East Friesian. (Those breeds are the best of their kind) Third they will need shelter, food, water, minerals, vet visits, & a PASTURE (NOT a back yard!) you need $25-$200 ready to spend on the lambs, $1,000-$5,000 for a barn, $40 a month on grain/hay/pasture& minerals, $500 set aside each year for veterinary care, and $100 for combs, shears, halters, ect. Fourth. They need pasture. We use the rotational grazing system. Lets say you have 1 pasture, then divide it up into 4 groups. Each week you would move the sheep to a new section. This minimizes worms and they will be healthier animals. Fifth. Once a year (sometimes twice) year you will need to deworm (.05-$1.50 per sheep) shear ($5 per sheep minus gas) & clip hooves. Lastly, before you get sheep join your local 4-H club and talk to kids about raising livestock. It's a lot harder than you think. And 1M times harder than a dog. Don't get me wrong they are great animals but in your current situation I would NOT get them. My flock of 14 have almost eaten down a 7 acre pasture in about 2 months and a back hard would not support 2 lambs. And like I said they are NOT the sweet cuddly animals in story books they are wild unless they are bottle babies but even then they can be CRAZY when they are older. If you have anymore questions, instagram me @nbean98