What is a unique breed of cow that could ideally be kept as a pet?

I love farm animals; especially horses! I know some day I will own a few horses, so I'm bound to have enough room for at least a couple of other animals.I think it would be really cool to have a friendly cow to enjoy as a pet. I've worked with cows…

I love farm animals; especially horses! I know some day I will own a few horses, so I'm bound to have enough room for at least a couple of other animals.I think it would be really cool to have a friendly cow to enjoy as a pet. I've worked with cows…...
    General Dog Discussions : What is a unique breed of cow that could ideally be kept as a pet?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is a unique breed of cow that could ideally be kept as a pet?

What is a unique breed of cow that could ideally be kept as a pet? General Dog Discussions
      I love farm animals; especially horses! I know some day I will own a few horses, so I'm bound to have enough room for at least a couple of other animals.I think it would be really cool to have a friendly cow to enjoy as a pet. I've worked with cows before and they're really quite adorable. I know there are some unique breeds of cow too, some look like wooly mammoths with big horns!If I were to ever fufil my dream of having a hobby farm, what breeds of cow should I consider raising, not for meat, just as pets!I've seen the Highland Cows, the 'West Highland' Cows are EXTREMELY CUTE!!!I wonder about the horns, would they have to be removed? I would personally prefer not to have to remove the horns but I imagine they could be quite dangerous!!!I wonder if a cow is easier or harder to train than a horse, I imagine they would be easier to work with. Horses can be nasty when they choose! Gotta love 'em!Wow, angelharp, your farm sounds perfect! Can I just move in with you? ;)A well-bred horse usually starts at $5000, so I wouldn't mind paying for a nicely bred animal. I'm sure the rarer breeds get a little more pricey as well. I live in Southern Ontario, we have plenty of livestock and agriculture but not like some places you know?I know Cows aren't as 'intelligent' as horses but they have a dopey, laid back persona that you just gotta love! And their noses! SO CUTE!I've seen Cows fitted with saddles but I think it would be nice to just have one to pet. It would be pretty cute to have a cow-pulled wagon though. Of course, the cow would have to be well mannered enough to stand for the vet, (and myself) but do cows ever need foot care? Goats are adorable and they are hilarious! Nigerian Dwarf goats are a really nice looking breed as well. Is it difficult to milk them? That would be awesome! I also heard that donkeys are useful for protecting a herd, I'll need one of those too

What is a unique breed of cow that could ideally be kept as a pet? General Dog Discussions
    • Miniature cows. I've always wanted a miniature cow. They have several varieties. Check out Miniature Highlander cattle. I've seen mini cows at the fairs before and they're hella cute!

• The long haired ones you are referring to are Scottish 'Highland Cows' I would love to have one as a pet, as well!I also like the Belted Galloways- they are black cows with white bandages around their middles- they are very cute- but apparently not the most tame breed of cow to keep.One of the friendlier breeds is the Jersey- they are a beautiful caramel colour and are often kept as house cows because they have a great nature and are generally more placid dairy cows.My friends were also interested in having Dexter cows- they are very small- like mini- cows that are just a bit different.Good luck choosing your future pets! I hope I can have a hobby farm in the future- I would love a Jersey house cow, a Highland, cow, and a belted Galloway... and an Asiatic Water Buffalo lol

• Go for the Dexters, the Zebus or old-time (small) Jerseys. I warn you, these can be quite expensive, though, depending on where you live. Holsteins can be gentle, but they're usually HUGE.If you just want a pet and don't want to spend a lot of money, you can get a little Holstein or Jersey bottle calf from a dairy. A baby bull may only cost you $30-40 dollars, and you'll have fun feeding it. Of course, you'll need to have it neutered when it's older (a neutered bull is called a steer), and there's always the chance he'll think you're "Mama" and try to butt you for milk. This is okay when he's a baby, but a 200 lb. or heavier steer can hurt. Cows aren't as "intelligent" as horses. You can train them to do certain things, but they'll never be as nimble or quick-witted as a horse. You have to love them for what they are. If you decide to raise a little steer, you might could find a wooden yoke for him and teach him to pull a little cart or stone-boat (sled) around the yard. The smaller and more gentle your cow, the easier time you'll have giving it veterinary care. You have to de-worm cows and give them shots periodically, and if you have to buy a head-catcher or chute, it can get expensive if you only have one or two head of cattle. You also won't have to have as large a stock-trailer to haul her. If your cow is a pet, get a vet to remove the horns early. This is for your safety. Your friendly cow could swing her head and gore you on accident.While you're thinking about a hobby farm, consider goats, too. (We raise Nigerian Dwarf goats and love them.) Goats are intelligent, friendly and VERY funny and their milk tastes great! Sheep are okay, but they're not as bright. Some are very sweet, though, and the baby-doll sheep are adorable....you do have to shear many breeds, though. Be sure and get a mini donkey for your farm....if you get a gentle one there's nothing sweeter and more affectionate, and they run dogs and coyotes away.