What brand and where can I find meat patties for my dog?

I have a yellow lab that is six or seven yrs old. She weighs about 100 pounds. The vet tells us she needs to lose at least 10 pounds. I have tried mutliple dog food. I spoke to someone the other day that said meat patties helped change their dog's body…

I have a yellow lab that is six or seven yrs old. She weighs about 100 pounds. The vet tells us she needs to lose at least 10 pounds. I have tried mutliple dog food. I spoke to someone the other day that said meat patties helped change their dog's body…...
    General Dog Discussions : What brand and where can I find meat patties for my dog?...

• What brand and where can I find meat patties for my dog?

What brand and where can I find meat patties for my dog? General Dog Discussions
      I have a yellow lab that is six or seven yrs old. She weighs about 100 pounds. The vet tells us she needs to lose at least 10 pounds. I have tried mutliple dog food. I spoke to someone the other day that said meat patties helped change their dog's body composition from fat to muscle. Which makes sense because humans normally eat high protein foods to gain muscle. I am having trouble finding a reliable brand that is actually meat and is healthy for the dog. My dog has joint problems so she needs to lose the weight fast.

What brand and where can I find meat patties for my dog? General Dog Discussions
    • Have you tried the vet prescription diets for weight loss? Medical has a good weight loss diet called reducing that is often effective. That being said, I'm actually not that big on feeding kibble and cans, I much prefer feeding raw.When you say meat patties, I'm guessing you mean raw food. It sometimes goes by the acronym BARF standing for bones and raw food. It is fairly expensive when you buy it prepackaged, but it is also a well balanced food when bought prepackaged (as opposed to making your own which is much more time consuming and requires you to find a good recipe to follow). I have been feeding my dog raw food since he was a puppy. He used to eat Healthy Paws and after I moved he was put onto Tollden Farms. Both are great diets, I only switched him because it is easier for me to get a hold of Tollden Farms in my new city. These are both Canadian brands so I'm not sure how available they are elsewhere in the world. They come in bags of 6 lbs or 8 lbs with patties that are 1/4 lb or 1/2 lb (depending on the brand and the type of meat). Healthy Paws has lamb, beef, turkey, chicken, duck, and sometimes I can find goat. Tollden Farms has lamb, beef, chicken, venison, and boar. There may be more but these are the common ones that I have seen. My dog has allergies so I stay away from all poultry with him, but if your dog has no allergies, then you will want to go for leaner meat. These numbers are probably on the packages, but I would think you should stay away from boar because it is probably higher fat and calorie content than the others.Other brands I have heard of are Pets4Life and Paws and Claws. They are all very similar in what they are made of. I feed my dog 1 lb of meat a day and he is a 40 lb dog with a fairly high metabolism. You can follow the package instructions, but your dog would probably be eating 2-2.5 lbs of meat a day. You should keep him on the lower end if he is over weight, but be careful not to starve him. The weight loss should always be monitored by a vet to make sure your dog isn't losing weight too quickly.You should also think about increasing the amount of exercise your dog is getting. I know you had said your dog has joint problems, so you will want to keep it low impact (walking) and start slowly to build your dog's stamina, but increasing his metabolism will really help her to lose weight.Good luck!