Any ideas to help my dog cope with thunderstorms?

My dog is terrified of storms. He whimpers & barks during the entire storm. We tried xanax that the vet recommended. It did nothing. I am exhausted from not sleeping. Any ideas would be appreciated.

My dog is terrified of storms. He whimpers & barks during the entire storm. We tried xanax that the vet recommended. It did nothing. I am exhausted from not sleeping. Any ideas would be appreciated....
    General Dog Discussions : Any ideas to help my dog cope with thunderstorms?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Any ideas to help my dog cope with thunderstorms?

Any ideas to help my dog cope with thunderstorms? General Dog Discussions
      My dog is terrified of storms. He whimpers & barks during the entire storm. We tried xanax that the vet recommended. It did nothing. I am exhausted from not sleeping. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Any ideas to help my dog cope with thunderstorms? General Dog Discussions
    • My dog had the same problem. Create a safe place for it so it can feel comfortable and play classical music to help drown out the storm. As much as you want to pet your dog don't because that encourages scared behavior. Maybe play their favorite game with them to distract them. My dog is already doing better with storms and good luck with yours

• Long down next to you and TOTAL ignoration of your dog.ONLY a correction if command is broken.Reward ONLY calmness.Meds are often prescribed, without a reason, for this completely preventable fear.Late Entry : Or get some Valium? I rest my case!

• My Lab is just the same, the vet did offer sedatives to calm her down, but I don't like to drug her. I have found the best thing to do is let her go to her safe place, under the bed, and leave her to come out when she is ready. As soon as the noise has stopped and she feels safe she comes back down stairs wagging her tail as if nothing happened.It is tempting to cuddle her and try and calm her but this is the worst thing you can do, it just reinforces her fear, it makes her think there really is something to be afraid of. Amy is now 4yrs old and still afraid of loud noises, it's not something that goes away, but as long as she's got her safe place to hide then she seems fine.

• Talk to him in a very soft, calming voice. Tell him its ok, that you are there and everything will be fine. People might think I'm nuts, but this worked for our dog and he hasn't whimpered or whined during a storm since, and there was a severe thunderstorm here last night. He just sat on the bed and watched it lightning

• my dog does this too, he goes crazy! he doesnt like the sound of thunder. he jumps on my bed and wont get down. i just let him stay where he is comfy and feels safe. i just sit with him and pet and talk to him. (if i get bored i turn the tv on.) he will eventually fall asleep. what kind of dog is he? mine is a labrador and what i do works every time. people say not to but it works for hershey!

• Make a storm a fun event for the dog instead of going "oh poor doggie" all the time.My dogs actually run out to watch, and let me know that they are mad at me if I don't go out and join them. Same thing with the 4th of July.

• You can desensitize your dog. It will take time and patience on your part, but it will be worth it in the future.My little black dog is terrified of thunderstorms and the 4th of July. Since I've started to desensitize her, she is doing a whole lot better.http://www.bestfriendspetcare.com/dog_behavior/dogsfearthunder.cfm

• It should come as no surprise that dogs are hypersensitive to most noises. Surprisingly, most hirsute creatures are actually more sensitive of the electrostatic charges on their fur! The links, below, may provide some guidance, but, many dogs are simply inconsolable (the "patent" link is more of a giggle than a worthwhile "cure", but I thought it was cute!). A trick that worked for one of my dogs (none of the others, though!) was to distract the dog by clapping or slapping the wall once, every time a thunderclap was heard. This might trick the dog into associating the noise with you, and, thus, the noise becomes "safe" (or, you become "dangerous", but that's highly unlikely). This might take a LONG time and add to your sleepless nights, but, as I said, it worked! I've also heard of owners gently, but firmly, touching (NOT hitting) the dog's chest or muzzle to distract it, but I'm not sure that it's a good idea to associate a noise with an otherwise friendly or controlling gesture, as the dog might think that the touch is a "bad" thing. Prescribed drugs are all well and good, but you can't predict all storms, and you certainly don't want to dose your dog, unnecessarily or frequently.Do NOT reward your pet during a storm or other noise, as it might become dependent on you for any little noise that occurs.P.S. It would have been nice if you had indicated your dog's type and age, and any other nervous habits it has.

• Find out what the maximum dose is that you can use, you might need more.You can also work on counter conditioning and desensitization with your dog. This site has a link to sound and storm phobias.www.fearfuldogs.com