What would cause a dog to have bad breath?

I have a chihuahua dog. He is 3 years old, and I have had him for one month. He has some serious bad breath. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

I have a chihuahua dog. He is 3 years old, and I have had him for one month. He has some serious bad breath. Any ideas on what the problem could be?...
    General Dog Discussions : What would cause a dog to have bad breath?...

• What would cause a dog to have bad breath?

What would cause a dog to have bad breath? General Dog Discussions
      I have a chihuahua dog. He is 3 years old, and I have had him for one month. He has some serious bad breath. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

What would cause a dog to have bad breath? General Dog Discussions
    • Bad teeth. Your dog needs a dental. Early tooth decay is a common problem in the toy breeds, and is often brought on even earlier by feeding a wet diet.

• Dog bad breath is caused by bacteria on the top of the tongue, just like in humans. To cure bad breath, this bacteria must be clean off, just like in humans. I have witnessed a Vet clean the top of a dog's tongue with OraBrush tongue cleaner to cure the dog's bad breath. Dog bad breath can also be caused by plaque on the dog's teeth which must also be cleaned off. This requires a visit to the Vet. Cleaning the tongue can be done at home. OraBrush was developed for humans, however, it can also be used for dog bad breath.