To microchip dogs.. Yay or Nay?

Please explain your answer, if you could.Please no TDs if you could, it's an opinion. =) Thank you

Please explain your answer, if you could.Please no TDs if you could, it's an opinion. =) Thank you...
    General Dog Discussions : To microchip dogs.. Yay or Nay?...

• To microchip dogs.. Yay or Nay?

To microchip dogs.. Yay or Nay? General Dog Discussions
      Please explain your answer, if you could.Please no TDs if you could, it's an opinion. =) Thank you

To microchip dogs.. Yay or Nay? General Dog Discussions
    • Yes. If our dog gets away and is caught by the animal shelter they will contact you right away after scanning. You won't have to search around numerous vets and whatnot. I just had this done to my cat. It's an inexpensive precaution to losing your pet.

• Yay,Tattoos fade. Chips have helped a number of lost dogs find their way home.Now, if only people had the sense to get a scan done if they find a dog, rather than just stand there with their fingers in their rectums waiting for someone to tell them it's ok to keep the pup.

• I don't know of any possible negative. They are harmless. They vastly increase your chances of redeeming your dog if he or she gets lost. Plus many places require permanent i.d. for dogs, and a chip can't slip off like a collar. Both of my dogs are chipped.

• I am for it. If your dog were to get lost without its collar on, that microchip is the only thing that will help identify the dog. Almost every animal control officer and Shelter will scan dogs when they come in to check and see if they are microchipped. We adopted our dog from a high kill shelter and microchipping was part of the fee. But if I were to go out and buy a dog I would definitely take it to get microchipped.

• I personally see microchipping as good.I am one of those people who doesn't like to collar my dogs 24/7, since I am afraid of having them catch their collar and become seriously injured or even die. I have heard far too many stories to that effect (and from people around where I live).It's nice to know that if they did happen to run off when they were outside or running in the pasture (since we're in the country and our yard isn't fenced) that someone could ID them and bring them home.Even if they were in their collar and slipped out of it, there would be a backup.

• Yes. The more ways you have to identify an animal, the more likely it will be to locate the owner should the pet become lost. Microchip with an internationally readable chip, such as Avid or Home Again (uses the ten digit number)Owners MUST register the chip with the manufacturer for the ID to be on file.

• I don't believe in microchipping pets for religious reasons. I've owned a lot of pets and none of them got lost or stolen. So I don't see the need for doing it.

• I do NOT micro chip my dogs. Simply because, where I live, there is no organization that can actually "read" the chip.Not the local animal shelter, dog pound, or vet office.So for me, it's a wasted effort.

• yayif dog looses collar, lets say, in a bush, then theres always the microchip to rely on.but that doesnt mean you shouldnt get a collar as well. one look at a dog without a collar and people will shoot (they would think the dog has rabies). collar and microchip. both good

• Ummm... Yay.If you lose your dog, and keep your microchip contact information up to date on a website such as 24PetWatch, a microchip can literally save your dogs life.For example:If your dog gets out and ends up at a kill shelter or animal control, it could save your dog's life because they'll know who to contact - especially if your dog lost it's tags somewhere along the way.If your dog gets out and gets hit by a car, someone stops to help your dog and takes it to a vet. That vet can scan the microchip, bring up you as the owner on the internet, then contact you regarding your dogs health and costs for emergency care.If someone steals your dog, takes it into the vet for health care and the vet notices there's a microchip id'd to a different owner - well, you'll likely get your dog back.If your dog is stolen and resold - same deal as above...Microchips are peace of mind for owners, it doesn't hurt the dog (or cat) and if that's the case, why wouldn't you do it?!Helpful?Cheers,B.For those who don't microchip because their area doesn't have techno gizmos for reading chips, dogs are capable of traveling great distances when panicked or lost and/or if you travel at all and lose your dog, they may get picked up in a community that has the technology. Peace of mind, still.

• Yay...l've microchipped mine, gives me peace of mind knowing that if they wander off they can be scanned by a vet or a rescue centre and then be quickly reunited with me, also helps to prove ownership if they are stolen.

• Definitely yay. I'd be a mess if i lost my doggy and just to have that chance that someone might find her and reunite me with her is reason enough to get it done. There's a database online that keeps all your details, address, phone number etc. so that you can be found if your dog is scanned. You can't always rely on dog tags because the collar could break or come off. Though I do use a tag too because not all vets and rescue centres have scanners. You can also get 'I am microchipped' or suchlike printed on your tag. I do think they are great anyway, they're just like getting a vaccination and they help a lot in the safety of your dog. Just remember to update your details if you move house!

• YAY!I know of no better way to positively ID a pet or to ensure if your pet winds up at a shelter or vet clinic, you will be contacted.I know many people who have lost pets that wish they had done it - by then, it's too late.Also, there are some chip companies that are teaming up with insurance companies where you can buy emergency insurance. I guess the way it works is you pay a premium for a years worth of coverage (it was actually really reasonable). Then, if your dog were to get loose and get injured - if someone found them and brought them to a vet clinic, they could scan them and it would show on their account that they are covered for X amount of emergency care before you are even contacted. This could be a life saving things because the vet could begin treatment immediately. I think that's really cool.Also, places where microchips aren't common yet - YOU have the power to change that. Request it from your vet.It is inexcusable for shelters not to have them. Most companies will give them to shelters for free if necessary.

• I LOVE having my dogs microchipped. It makes it very easy to identify a dog at a shelter also. I work at an animal shelter and when we have a dog with a microchip there is no guessing whether a dog matches the description the owner has left with us. Let me tell you, lots of owners have no clue what breed or size their mutt is. I have been told many things like "my dog is a lab hound cross and is very large" when in reality it is a pit lab cross and is a medium sized dog. Some owners just don't know how to give a good description. I've also had animals that have come in that I hadn't called a person with a lost dog because they forgot to mention something big- like their dog is blind or obese because I figured that was something they would have mentioned on our "special features" line. Anyway, what I mean to say is that it makes our lives a lot easier when all we have to do is make a phone call and you're dog goes home. I have all my babies done and it really gives me peace of mind. I have a purebred English Mastiff that I worry about getting stolen and two Pits. Since my fiance is a police officer we do get a prank now and again and it really concerns me that someone may break in one day and take them since everyone knows how much they mean to us. Paranoid-yes but for 45 bucks I got some peace of mind knowing that I can report my dog stolen and a fax goes out to every vet, shelter, and animal rescuer within a 45 mile radius to keep an eye out for the dog. I think it's money well spent! Another perk about my service (Home Again) is that I get free lost pet insurance so if my guys get away and get hit by a car or very sick I can afford all the treatments. I can't really think of a negative unless you plan on abandoning your dog (they can track you down easy). The needle is very large and will hurt to put in your dog so if it is possible I recommend having it done during a spay/neuter or teeth cleaning but the pain only lasts a couple seconds and they get over it right away.

• Definitely. For one, my step dad makes the chips that go into these dogs. they are completely harmless and 100% helpful. People say that the chips can cause cancer in dogs, but that is not true. They have a better chance of getting sick from cig smoke than getting cancer from a micro chip. Secondly, When I got my dog, we asked the vet for their opinion and they said to do so, and we did. Because of the chip, we were able to locate our dog after he got lose once. It is completely painless and helpful in every way. If your dog gets loss, they can track them. If someone brings your dog to the vet, they can scan it to see if it really belongs to them.Having the microchip in dogs IS a very good thing, trust me!!!

• Yay. Tags can be pulled off, tattoos can be distorted, GPS locators can break, die, be taken off, or fall off. A microchip can't die, it can't fall off, and it sure as heck can't be taken out!Yes- not all chips are readable by all machines, but the majority of machines are upgraded to read nearly 80% of the chips out there. Every shelter is required by law to scan a dog prior to labeling it as a 'stray' or putting the dog up for adoption two days sooner, vets are also supposed to can a dog that is new to their practice for records.I can't find a downside to them- unless you fail to realize that you must activate and register them...