How to stop a dog from jumping on me and other people?

My dog, named Nix, is about 1 year old. My parents got him from his previous owner. The previous owner had to give him up, because she had to move into an apartment, out of the country. So she decided to find a new home for him. He is a good dog,…

My dog, named Nix, is about 1 year old. My parents got him from his previous owner. The previous owner had to give him up, because she had to move into an apartment, out of the country. So she decided to find a new home for him. He is a good dog,…...
    General Dog Discussions : How to stop a dog from jumping on me and other people?...

• How to stop a dog from jumping on me and other people?

How to stop a dog from jumping on me and other people? General Dog Discussions
      My dog, named Nix, is about 1 year old. My parents got him from his previous owner. The previous owner had to give him up, because she had to move into an apartment, out of the country. So she decided to find a new home for him. He is a good dog, usually. But when he gets excited, he jumps on people.

How to stop a dog from jumping on me and other people? General Dog Discussions
    • well at least he is loving. everytime he does. give him a firm and loud no. and get off. thats it. u might need to tap him off. but after a while u will only need the words.

• You can either do one of two things.1. Put your knee up when the dog jumps up and don't look. Praise when all four paws are on the ground and if he jumps again repeat.2. Turn away and cross your arms not looking at the dog, until the dog has sat down or has all four paws on the ground and praise. If he jumps again repeat.

• If you give Nix a quick firm touch as he jumps up on you then it should help the problem .Also all dogs should be walked an average of 1 hour a day to help prevent his excitement.

• Dogs learn from repeated behaviors. If you want Nix to stay down, you have to make sure to never let him jump up. Sometimes, people will let them jump up and they can get confused about what they are allowed to do. Consistency is crucial. You might also want to try training him to sit when someone approaches him. This takes a lot of practice, praise and treats. You will want to avoid petting him if he is jumping up. Reinforce good behaviors. It will take time, but if you stick to a plan, he'll get the hang of it.

• depending on the dog, there are different ways to control them. some will not be trained with treats, a scold, and or sweet talk. one way is to have him on the leash if you know people are coming over. you can pull the leash backwards and then down ward with one movement. not too hard but enough to let Nix notice you doing it. touch his sides or either his back (butt) to sit him down. donot use words. it will only keep him excited. let him wait, and sit and let the people pass by. petting him while excited only encouraging to be even more excited. you can move him gently, probably a hard poke to his side to move him away. remember words can excite him more, treats and petting while he's excitedif he jumping on you. just pull your knee up to block him from putting his paws on you. very gently or with enforce (depending on his size) you can keep doining that until he settle down and then you pet him. if he do it again you repeat the step and walk awaygiving Nix treat (depending on the dog) sometime is ignored. if it is like my dog, in the future Nix probably wont care about the treat and rather jump on people until it tired.

• When he gets excited then you need to be firm and follow the no touch, no talk and no eye contact rule. When the dog calms down then affection and reward. If he jumps up again then repeat.

• For when he's at home, I would ignore him when you come home until he calms down. My dog will go nuts and jump around so I just pretend he's not there. When he does calm down turn around and praise him calmly and then have him sit. Pet him and stop if he starts up again. If people want to greet your dog on walks, have him sit and stay and allow them to pet him. If he starts up, correct him and if he does listen maybe have the people give him a treat. He'll realize soon enough treat=all paws on the ground.