How do I stop by dog from being a complete nuisance to my other dog?

I have 3 dogs. My oldest is 9, the middle one is 5, and our newest one is a 1.5 year old pitbull rescue. She was hit by a car and left in a ditch. When she was found, she couldn't walk. She was taken to an emergency vet center and given a 30% chance…

I have 3 dogs. My oldest is 9, the middle one is 5, and our newest one is a 1.5 year old pitbull rescue. She was hit by a car and left in a ditch. When she was found, she couldn't walk. She was taken to an emergency vet center and given a 30% chance…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do I stop by dog from being a complete nuisance to my other dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I stop by dog from being a complete nuisance to my other dog?

How do I stop by dog from being a complete nuisance to my other dog? General Dog Discussions
      I have 3 dogs. My oldest is 9, the middle one is 5, and our newest one is a 1.5 year old pitbull rescue. She was hit by a car and left in a ditch. When she was found, she couldn't walk. She was taken to an emergency vet center and given a 30% chance to live. The rescue went ahead with the surgery she now has 3 pins holding her neck together. For a month or so, she had to be crated 23 hours of the day and kept away from my dogs. Today, you would have NO clue that she was ever hurt, except for the incision scar on her neck!! Once she was able to be introduced to my other dogs, it was a little tense. But soon they all just started minding their own business. That didn't last long. My older 2 want nothing to do with her. Actually one day the oldest went to start play time like she does with my other dog, but I don't know if she thought that was aggression time because she just lunged at her. There was no biting, but just snapping and jumping on top of her. That was the last time my oldest dog tried that.Now, they still try to ignore her, but just about every 5 minutes, she jumps on them, lunges at them...anything to "play". Although somehow I don't believe it's all play. She might start out by just nibbling their ankles, but if they show any signs of joining in, she gets aggressive. We have to continuously break them apart. Again, no real fighting or anything, but my oldest gets so tired of the constant nuisance that she snaps back and barks a different bark. It's continuous every day, all day. Please send some advice this way. We will not be giving her up, so please don't offer that advice! Thank you!!

How do I stop by dog from being a complete nuisance to my other dog? General Dog Discussions
    • You need to teach the rescued Pitbull that biting, lunging and jumping on the other dogs is an inapropriate behaviour. Whenever she grabs onto another dogs skin, or looks about ready to jump or lunge at another dog, intercept by standing in her way and firmly saying "no" in a disaproved voice, looking straight at her. make sure not to yell at your dog, you only want to discourage the behaviour, not threaten or hurt your dog. Keep a close eye on your dogs and monitor their playing carefully, be consistant in corrections, saying "no" and looking straight at your dog when she misbehaves. Very few dogs change overnight, this might be a very long process. If she doesn't seem to respond to verbal corrections, have a leash on her collar at all times (you don't have to hold it at all times of course, just leave it dragging behind her) and if she misbehaves tug the leash in a gentle, smooth and quick movement. Never tug hard or so it hurts her, only so you are communicating you don't like the behaviour. Because she had a neck injury, you have to be careful, perhaps have a harness instead and the leash attached to that. Once the behaviour has stopped, then encourage them to play together nicely, rewarding them with praise when they are playing nicely. Rember to keep calm, be consistant, keep in control of the situation and be firm in corrections.Check this out:http://www.cesarsway.com/askcesar/overexcitement/How-rough-is-too-roughI hope this helps, good luck. Also it's wonderful to here you rescued a dog, especially a pitbull. Thank you so much!