Will an invisible fence keep a Great Pyrenees in my yard?

She is almost a year old and weighs around 100 pounds. She is very smart and easy to train. I'm just wondering if her size would prevent her from feeling the shock of the fence. Also, she climbs the chain fence. Any advice on invisible fences would be…

She is almost a year old and weighs around 100 pounds. She is very smart and easy to train. I'm just wondering if her size would prevent her from feeling the shock of the fence. Also, she climbs the chain fence. Any advice on invisible fences would be…...
    General Dog Discussions : Will an invisible fence keep a Great Pyrenees in my yard?...

• Will an invisible fence keep a Great Pyrenees in my yard?

Will an invisible fence keep a Great Pyrenees in my yard? General Dog Discussions
      She is almost a year old and weighs around 100 pounds. She is very smart and easy to train. I'm just wondering if her size would prevent her from feeling the shock of the fence. Also, she climbs the chain fence. Any advice on invisible fences would be appreciated.Thank you

Will an invisible fence keep a Great Pyrenees in my yard? General Dog Discussions
    • Based on my experience, invisible fences aren't as effective in containing large dogs like a Pyrenees.I strongly advise getting a 6 foot privacy (board) fence put up.That's the only type of fence that really works well with a giant breed like this.

• an invisable fence will keep them in unless you dog is very hyper an insistant on exploring .you will have an instructor come to your home as all invisable fence co do and they will evaluate your dog to see if they are a good candidate for this type of fencing then once a day for a week they come to your house and train your dog and show you how to set the collar settings for the correct stimulation.if your dog has no heart condition or is extremely timid this wouldnt be a wise choice of inclosure for your pet .some dogs can form personality problems with these fences,such as not wanting to go out ,being affraid of people or being shy or whithdrawing,feeling this stimulating sensation or shoch if you will is some sort of punishment for something their not aware of so careful evaluation buy you the fence co trainer and your vet is crucial.and yes they can learn to run through the shock if their stubborn.

• You will need to find another type of fence to contain your dog, as invisible fencing creates a false sense of security. If a dog is determined, it will cross the barrier and be hesitant to return due to the potential for an additional shock. Plus, invisible fences do not keep out stray dogs and other critters, leaving your dog vulnerable to attack.You might consider a 6-ft tall woven-wire fence, which would be more effective and more asthetic than chain-length fencing.

• If you already have a chain-link fence, you could just modify that fence (is the fence too short for the dog? A 4-ft. fence won't hold many dogs in...a fence should at least 5-6 feet for large dogs). You could run a hot wire around the fence (check your farm store for electric fencing made for cattle)...I can tell you from MUCH experience, after you've hit that wire a time or two, you'll do nearly anything to avoid it again! Another thing you might try is installing Coyote Rollers on top of the fence: http://www.coyoteroller.com/

• Very few pyrs can be contained by an invisible fence. All too often the dog will endure the pain to exit the fenceline, but won't come back across to come inside the yard once again. If you already have a chain link fence, the there are two or three additions you can make to ensure retention.1- add a top to the fence that curves into the yard. This makes going over the top quite difficult. A fence that is only vertical with no top angled in can be scaled easily. The angle screws up the dog's ability to scale a chain link fence. 2- add two hot wires with a 50mi Zareba charger. You can get the instructions & supplies from Tractor Supply Co. They have standoffs you use to place a wire about 1 ft. above ground off the existing chain link fence and a 2nd wire at the top of the existing fence so the dog won't dig out or climb over the top. It will not harm the dog and is probably the most commonly recommended fence to contain a climbing pyr. 3- There's a roller system made that can be attached to the top of the existing fence line. I think there's a link to it from my Yahoo group. The roller system prevents the dog from going over the top by the action of the rolling tube. The dog loses purchase at the top and cannot complete scaling the fence line. Your dog's FUR is part of the reason why the invisible fence rarely works for pyrs. Their fur prevents them from feeling the shock. In addition, pyrs are stoic and will put up with the pain if they're hot on the trail of whatever tempted them to leave the yard. But it's not worth putting up with the pain to return to the yard. You're invited to join one of Yahoo's good pyr groups so you can find links on fencing and ask questions of pyr owners rather than the general public. @->--

• The invisible fence keeps mine in. We have about 3/4 acre inside a hundred acre wood. We put the collar on when she was young; I walked her around her perimeter twice daily for a week or so, showing her where her boundaries are. As long as the battery is charged, she stays in. As soon as the battery dies, she wanders. The suggestions to add the invisible fence to the chain link sound good to me. These guys are Houdini's!