Dry raised patches on puppy's muzzle?

I'm fostering two 5-week-old puppies for a local animal shelter. I've noticed that the smaller male with longer hair has developed dry, raised patches on the top of his muzzle. I've been watching him closely for the past few days and it doesn't seem to…

I'm fostering two 5-week-old puppies for a local animal shelter. I've noticed that the smaller male with longer hair has developed dry, raised patches on the top of his muzzle. I've been watching him closely for the past few days and it doesn't seem to…...
    General Dog Discussions : Dry raised patches on puppy's muzzle?...

• Dry raised patches on puppy's muzzle?

Dry raised patches on puppy's muzzle? General Dog Discussions
      I'm fostering two 5-week-old puppies for a local animal shelter. I've noticed that the smaller male with longer hair has developed dry, raised patches on the top of his muzzle. I've been watching him closely for the past few days and it doesn't seem to bother him. It hasn't spread to any other areas and the other puppy is free of symptoms. It appears that the patches of fur are loose, but they don't pull off at all. I'm hoping it's nothing to worry about, because taking them back to the shelter for an evaluation is a long drive. I'm wondering if a bath with an oatmeal shampoo and some light scrubbing over the area would help? Does anyone know what could be wrong? Thanks!

Dry raised patches on puppy's muzzle? General Dog Discussions
    • That could be demodectic mange, a vet would have to take a skin scrape. Demodex can't be passed to humans or other dogs. The rescue should pay the bill so call them.If it turns out to be sarcoptic mange or ringworm you can catch it, as can the other pup, so wash your hands after handling.