How do you train yr dog to walk outside without a leash?

My dog is a bichon frise and whenever he goes out, he likes to run away into people's backyards. It's very difficult to chase him back. I'm really not sure how to train him to listen when he's outside. Plz Help!!!!!!!

My dog is a bichon frise and whenever he goes out, he likes to run away into people's backyards. It's very difficult to chase him back. I'm really not sure how to train him to listen when he's outside. Plz Help!!!!!!!...
    General Dog Discussions : How do you train yr dog to walk outside without a leash?...

• How do you train yr dog to walk outside without a leash?

How do you train yr dog to walk outside without a leash? General Dog Discussions
      My dog is a bichon frise and whenever he goes out, he likes to run away into people's backyards. It's very difficult to chase him back. I'm really not sure how to train him to listen when he's outside. Plz Help!!!!!!!

How do you train yr dog to walk outside without a leash? General Dog Discussions
    • you can use a very long retractable leash and harness (i don't like how retractable leash always pulls on their necks..also it reinforces pulling)unleashed, there's always a risk your dog can be hit by a car and die..even for the best trained dogs i just say why take that chance? or someone calling the cops on you if they see you with an unleashed dog (there are leash laws a dog must be leashed unless it's a special off leash area) in my area, they fine $500 for an unleashed dog

• you can go to a petco or petsmart and buy a 50 foot leash. not a retractable leash. start in ur back yard. simply work on teachin him to "come" also i have found as i had a dog who once she was out she was gone that a dog whol really likes it owner will not want to be to far away. i now have a diff dog and have trained him better and i learned he simply does not want to go anywhere else. i know its not much help but spendin lots of time with ur dog can totally help. maybe put em on a leash while u r in ur house and have him follow u around as much as possible. that is wat did the trick for me that way ur dog feels truly dependent and likes to spend time with u and no one else.

• What about an invisible fence? I'm not exactly a professional on how those work, but a few of my neighbors have them and they seem to work for most of them. Some dogs ignore it or build up a tolerance to it, and it'd depend on how you feel about the shock. I'm iffy, but if you can't keep him contained any other way, it could save his life.Maybe once the boundaries are established and he's used to it, he wont try to run out past the boundary anymore even if it's not really there.

• I lived in a suburb once where 98 owners out of 100 had a dog and only 2 in 10 had a closed fence around their yards. While biking to school, 1 or two of these would sometimes chase after me while I was cycling back home and that would scare the wits out of me. We had three of them and they were great companions.Keep in mind that dogs are a bit territorial and that they are about smells. When a dog goes for a walk, he'll try to find out as much as he can about his neighborhood and the other dogs living there so he can familiarize himself with his surroundings.As other dog also walk the neighborhood, they leave "smell" messages. You could say they are leaving their scent behind for other dogs to pick up. Now, when a dog goes out on his daily walk, nothing is as interesting as sniffing out all those messages, its a bit like going to his email in box to read the messages.There are thousands of messages for dogs to read this way with their noses. Add to this that dogs can smell a potential "mate" when nature calls to breed from miles away, and then it isn't a surprise anymore to see them wander off every now and then.You can't fight this urge they have for wanting to go pick up their "messages" and sometimes, its better to let them, not only because it makes them better guardians, but happier as well, its not our faults they act this way, it is part of any dog's instincts to do so.There are of course ways to improve the way you interact with your dog, and this, you could learn. Check out this site: http://pinurl.com/a9aThese people are dedicated pros and know their business. It might bring the answers you are looking for.Good luck, God Bless and give him a hug for me.