How do i know my dogs are fully healed from getting neutered?

Its been about 6 days since my dog were neutered, the vet didn't give any medicine, Right now all my dogs want to do is run and play ball. Also how long do I keep their e-collars on? Till the stitches fall out? My dad thinks they are ready since they…

Its been about 6 days since my dog were neutered, the vet didn't give any medicine, Right now all my dogs want to do is run and play ball. Also how long do I keep their e-collars on? Till the stitches fall out? My dad thinks they are ready since they…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do i know my dogs are fully healed from getting neutered?...

• How do i know my dogs are fully healed from getting neutered?

How do i know my dogs are fully healed from getting neutered? General Dog Discussions
      Its been about 6 days since my dog were neutered, the vet didn't give any medicine, Right now all my dogs want to do is run and play ball. Also how long do I keep their e-collars on? Till the stitches fall out? My dad thinks they are ready since they seem likey them usual selfs before the surgery.

How do i know my dogs are fully healed from getting neutered? General Dog Discussions
    • After a dog is spayed or neutered, the healing process will take 10 to 14 days. During this time, dog owners must monitor the incision for any swelling, redness or excessive drainage.The incision from a spay or neuter surgery must be monitored closely. It’s important to check and clean the incision two to three times per day.The wound should be disinfected daily using betadine, a no-sting antiseptic solution that’s available in the first aid section of the drug store. Hydrogen peroxide should be avoided as it can delay healing by damaging the tissue.Discharge is normal during the first day or two following surgery. To remove the dried fluids surrounding the dog’s incision, use a warm, wet washcloth as a compress for about five to ten minutes. A wet Q-tip can then be used to remove any crusting or fluid around the incision. This should be followed with a generous amount of betadine, which should be allowed to air dry.Photographing the incision from a surgery can be helpful for dog owners. Using a digital camera, photograph the incision site daily and compare the photographs. Overall, the wound should be improving in appearance. If the wound appears to be getting worse in terms of swelling, redness or discharge, this indicates an infection.Photographing the dog’s incision is helpful because it can be difficult to detect subtle changes from day to day. Photos are much more reliable than having to rely on memory and they can be brought in to the veterinarian as a way to show the progression of the wound, which can be helpful if a problem arises.Read more: http://petlvr.com/blog/2009/01/26/what-should-i-expect-after-my-dog-is-spayed-or-neutered/#ixzz2OKtDbo00

• Usually the vet would call you back to get the stitches removed after 5 days. Has the vet checked out your dogs after the surgery at all? The vet may have also used dissolvable stitches, they stitch them up internally so that they have no stitches on the outside at all. You can normally take the e-collars off after 5 days, as long as the wound is healed up nicely and they aren't still licking and chewing at it. Maybe give the vet a call and see if they need to remove the stitches, every vet clinic has different policies so they may also need you to keep the e-collars on longer.Also I just read the other answer, and guess it depends on the clinic but you should never attempt to clean directly over the wound. This should always be left to the vet to do. Touching the wound and not using sterile products can increase the chance of infection. This is why animals need to wear their e-collars, as licking can increase infection also. You can however clean AROUND the wound if it gets dirty but don't ever touch or clean directly on the wound. :)