if a dog does not offer a correct down behavior around mild distractions, what should you do?

if a dog does not offer a correct down behavior around mild distractions, what should you do?

if a dog does not offer a correct down behavior around mild distractions, what should you do?...
    General Dog Discussions : if a dog does not offer a correct down behavior around mild distractions, what should you do?...

• if a dog does not offer a correct down behavior around mild distractions, what should you do?

if a dog does not offer a correct down behavior around mild distractions, what should you do? General Dog Discussions

if a dog does not offer a correct down behavior around mild distractions, what should you do? General Dog Discussions
    • Keep working with the dog until you do get a correct down behavior. It takes awhile. You have to work with a dog anyway about 10 minutes a day - but preferably around distractions.

• Go back to square one in your training program... as something was missed... or steps not correctly taken. My dogs learn to down under distraction for 30-35 mins with me being 40 paces away... Like I said - square ONE again hon- teach it rightH.O.T. DogHandler Owner Trainer of GSD'sMember U.S.A & A.W.D.F

• Don't let the dog fail. If it is not doing the down stay with distractions, backup and just do the exercise with no distractions. When you are positive the dog knows what you want, then introduce a small distraction. Be sure it is something minor to the dog. An example would be throwing a ball past my dog on a down stay would be a minor distraction because he does not play ball. It would be a MAJOR distraction to a dog who loved to play ball. Also, when he stays with the distraction, go back to him and reward and praise him.Gradually introduce more distractions. But, if at any time the dog fails the exercise more than once, back up and reduce the distractions until he is successful.