How do you get a severly abused dog to feel most comfortable?

I recently adopted a golden retriever that was raised in a metal swimming pool by his previous owners, until he was 4 months old. I have been told that he acts like a dog that has limited human contact, except for with his foster parents, who had him…

I recently adopted a golden retriever that was raised in a metal swimming pool by his previous owners, until he was 4 months old. I have been told that he acts like a dog that has limited human contact, except for with his foster parents, who had him…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do you get a severly abused dog to feel most comfortable?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do you get a severly abused dog to feel most comfortable?

How do you get a severly abused dog to feel most comfortable? General Dog Discussions
      I recently adopted a golden retriever that was raised in a metal swimming pool by his previous owners, until he was 4 months old. I have been told that he acts like a dog that has limited human contact, except for with his foster parents, who had him until he was 10 months. My wife and I are unsure how far to push our affection onto him, or if we should just let him adjust and let him come around to us? He is not violent, but we have not pet him yet because he tends to move away from us when we get too close. Can anyone recommend some steps to take in showing him affection, and gaining his trust? Thanks

How do you get a severly abused dog to feel most comfortable? General Dog Discussions
    • talk to him in soft low tones, never showing anger or emotion in your voice. Cook up some turkey bacon, no dog can resist turkey bacon. Gently toss him a little piece so he knows that 's what you have in your hands, and then see if you can get him to come to you, even if you have to toss a piece, have him get 2 steps closer, etc. Remember he was probably beaten on the head by the hands, so he's "hand shy" now. You'll never be able to pet him around the head (maybe)....say "good boy" and try to give him the scratch at the base of the tail, that's a safe scratching place and dogs love the ol "butt scratch".Good luck and god bless for taking in the poor thing.

• Let him come to you, give him treats,NEVER yell at him and certainly neverhurt him, and be patient.Dogs recover far more quickly than humans.You should probably be crate training him.In any case, he should have a space thatis absolutely his.

• Just be as nice as possible; hold out treats, talk lovingly...that kind of thing. but don't try to force him to come to you; that will make it worse and they will avoid you. I know this from experience. he will warm up to you eventually if you just let him be.

• You can try and lure him to you with a tasty smelling treat and an open hand. When you comes to you give him a small rub on the head. He will be jumpy, but he needs to see that the only kind of touch isn't bad. Make sure to talk in very soothing voices.

• You can try putting a dog cookie in your hand and well just play the waiting game. when he finally comes up to you, let him eat it out of your hand and just sort of stroke him while he is starting to eat the cookie.

• Do not have him around allot of people, just you and your wife but warm up one at a time, hold him beside you on the couch, (even if you do not allow pets on the couch) and comfort him as you both watch some tv, rub the top of his from between the center of his eyes and feed him a little jerky out of you bag and share once he sees that he'll soften up. Hopefully.

• Approach him slowly, talking quietly in a soothing tone. Do not make direct eye contact as this is threatening to dogs. Approach from an angle, not straight on. Sit near him and slowly ease your hand close to his chest until he lets you touch it. Lightly stroke his chest ... do not go right for his head or shoulders (in dog language, that's the equivalent of you meeting someone for the first time and them grabbing your crotch!). Sit quietly next to him for awhile, still talking in a low soothing tone, lightly petting his chest. It sounds odd, but try yawning and licking your lips. When a dog does that, it's his way of relieving stress. If you do it too, it's like you telling your dog "hey, we're both kind of stressed out right now, but how about we start to relax?". Everything slowly at first. After he starts to realize your associations produce good touches and maybe even other rewards (treats, toys, etc), he'll be wanting more and more of them!

• When you stand at him, broad shoulders you look very intimidating. Turn to your side. Talk in a low voice, a little whismical. It's comforting. Avoid reaching over him, go from his chin then around. Don't just go straight for his head. It may spook him.Let him come to you. Talk to him, offer him toys, and treats. No sudden movements, no high pitched noise, etc. Try to keep the drama down. I wouldn't recommend taking him to petsmart etc on the first day. If you're going to crate him, have objects that smell like you in his crate - T-shirt etc.Keep up w/ training and discipline. Just because he's shy doesnt mean he gets to run the household. Be firm but not mean.Dogs thrive in a structured environment w/ and established Alpha. The feel safe, secure and their confidence will start coming out.Be patient. I have a golden. They are very social, loving, sometimes overly affectionate, smart, WONDERFUL dogs!!! He'll love you, he just has to get to know you.Good Luck.

• OK. I have a dog that is just like that, and she doesn't really like people. What i would do is crouch down to the dogs level but don't get too close, then with your hand slowly reach it out for the dog to sniff. Don't try to pet the dog because it will be scared. IF the dog doesn't sniff then try doing it with a treat. I wouldn't try to pet it until it approaches you. Make the dog feel at home and make sure that you have toys. If you want you could try giving the dog scraps of food left over from dinner (but make sure that you put the food in the dogs bowl and don't feed it at the table, b/c it will cause bad habits) Hope this helps.Remember to be friendly with the dog but don't approach it too fast. Try not to have a lot of people come over the house, the dog may become more scared.

• Let him come to you. Don't make eye contact or even face him (unless he's aggressive, then don't turn your back on him). Cesar Milan (the Dog Whisperer) has shown some dogs like this on his show. He slowly backs towards them, staying calm and talking with the owners, to show the dog that he's there, but not threatening.Walk him for long periods of time, if possible, to get him used to being at your side (not in front or pulling away) and to burn off some energy. When he's calm, then give affection. Just light petting at first, maybe never rough play.It sounds like the foster parents did everything right, if he responded to them. Ask how they bonded with him. Their work can make your job easier, and faster. Don't ever pity him. He's got a good home now, and dogs live in the moment. His past is done, let him move on with you as his pack leader.

• If you've gotten the dog from an isolating and abusive background, do NOT force attention or affection on him. Let him come to you; he'll seek you out when he's feeling safe and secure enough.Keep to a regular routine so he can anticipate your comings and goings, and put him on a feeding schedule (feed him at the same time every day). These simple things help to reduce anxiety in severely isolated dogs. Never raise your hand or your voice to him; be calm, firm and consistent with any corrections you give him. When he can trust that you'll always come back, that you'll always have food for him, and that you're always consistent with your corrections, he'll start trusting you as a pack leader and will open up to you.Remember that dogs often "communicate" to one another with body postures, so be careful how you stand and approach him. If you're facing him full on, standing over him and smiling, for example, to him you're making yourself look like a big animal that wants to dominate him and is showing your teeth. Instead, show him your side, keep your eyes and smile soft, and sit down at his level whenever you can.You'll know when he's feeling more like himself when he walks with his tail up and approaches you for pets and hugs.If need more assistance you can e-mail us at [email protected] you for rescuing this furbaby!

• How very sad! I'm no expert, but I would let him know, without pushing, that he is loved & safe. Make sure he's fed, watered & always has a warm place to sleep. I'm sure it's just a matter of time, be very patient.Some friends of mine adopted a dog from our local Humane Society, he had spent several months living in a cage at two seperate locations. The day we picked him out, we were told he was on "death row"& only had a couple of days left to live. "Buddy" came around after a few months, when he finally figured out that he was "home".

• I had a dog once who had a similar background of abuse. What worked for us was giving the dog space within a few rooms where there was hiding space but where she could be coaxed to come out. I would sit on the sofa and have some tasty treats like fried bacon and let the pup come to me and get it without trying to pet her then the next time try to but don't push it.My dog at the time, also a rescue, would hit the floor and pee when anyone approached, she was that scared.It was about two weeks and then she was up and about with confidence and no more peeing. Another thing that helped was I had another dog who I took for walks. I would take her with the other dog and she was scared at first, tail between her legs but within a few days she was walking fine.So take her for walks and if she is scared of the outdoors, take her around your yard on a leash. Then around your block until she is comfortable with that. Just gradually get her used to what she is afraid of and use treats and praise to coax her. She is likely a bit thrown with the change from foster care to her permanent home.Another rescue that I currently have had such terrible fear of the outdoors she would foam at the mouth and her saliva would run out of her mouth. She panicked and even had a few seizures.The seizures she had weren't bad ones and I would pet her and talk to her gently and with confidence and no fear in my voice. She would calm down then.It took a long time but she now goes to dog parks and loves rides in the car.

• I would recommend that you feed him a bit of chamomile. Dump it out of the teabag, and mix the dry chamomile with a little canned food, or canned meat. About 20-30 minutes later, he will be much more relaxed, and even likely to fall asleep, as chamomile relieves tension...(chamomile is very safe, and originally recommended by my vet. You will find it in any grocer's tea section) If you can get near to him, after feeding the tea, lay on the floor with him in the same room...when you are lying near him, it shows that you trust him, and thereby you become trustworthy TO him..When I am taming an animal, from a wild horse, to an emu, and especially dogs, I either lay on the floor/ground near them or sit in a chair while reading a book, pretending not to notice the animal at all.Once you are able to actually get them to fall asleep with you very close, you have it made..My spouse was having a hard time getting a rescued dog to trust. My spouse lay next to the kennel for one night, and the dog has trusted ever since...She became very bonded with my spouse, just overnight.

• In 2000, I adopted a Black Lab (who I named "Buddy") and he suffered from a similar problem. He was afraid of everything because of the treatment he got from his previous owners.It took a few Months but talking to him, petting him a lot, showing him lots of Love, got him out of it.If your Dog is not violent, try it...when he tries to move away, cuddle him and talk to him in a low, Loving type of voice. It did work for me.Don't leave it up to the Dog...You and your Wife need to start the process.My Dog is still afraid of loud noises but he has learned to trust in Humans again.Please, don't send him back to the shelter...it will take time and lots of Doggy treats. Sending him back, will only show him that he is right about not having trust in Humans.You did a Great thing when you adopted him...I wish there were more people out there who felt like we do about animals!God Bless you and your Wife for having Great Hearts!Good Luck to you!

• This is very hard to do - so make sure you have lots of patients! It will take years for a dog (maybe never completely) to heal from a previous bad owner. We breed cocker spaniels and found out that on a routine visit, the dog was getting beaten. We took the dog back and filed a suit against the people. The only problem was that the puppy had suffered for almost a year because the signs didn't show until then. Basically, we placed the dog in a comfortable location that was a small room. We never let the other dogs in with it though. The puppy could see through the door and also hear us - child gate was used. We placed a dog crate inside for a safety spot. This will start you on training in kennels also. We would talk to it all the time. We would sit in front of the door and talk in soft voices to it - never raise your voice in front of the dog. If you do, you will have to start all over again in training. Then, take treats to the dog each time. You can place them in front of the gate, never for you to go in however place them by sliding it through the door. You should never approach the dog. Do this for a few weeks. If the dog doesn't come out to eat the treat, then just leave it there. He will come out when he knows it is safe to do so. By doing this each time, you will create a bond with the dog. He will soon come and eat it in front of you. Then, after a longer time, he will trust you to eat it while you pet him. Don't ever overdo it though - never more than ten minutes at a time. He will come around, just give him time to trust you. It is recommended though, sadly, that if you have children, you shouldn't have this dog. Even the best child might have a moment that frightens the dog and the child will get bitten. I'm sure you understand my precaution statement. Good Luck! It is very rewarding after your dog trusts you!