How do you get a severly abused dog to feel most comfortable?

I recently adopted a golden retriever that was raised in a metal swimming pool by his previous owners, until he was 4 months old. I have been told that he acts like a dog that has limited human contact, except for with his foster parents, who had him…

How do you get a severly abused dog to feel most comfortable?

I recently adopted a golden retriever that was raised in a metal swimming pool by his previous owners, until he was 4 months old. I have been told that he acts like a dog that has limited human contact, except for with his foster parents, who had him…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do you get a severly abused dog to feel most comfortable?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Well, bless both your hearts on adopting a previously abused dog. Poor baby.I doubt I can add anything to the what has already been suggested. The treat idea sounds like a god one. I would suggest sitting on the floor at his level when you offer him treats or toys though.I'm sure that with time, love and patience, he will come around before you know it. He's probably still trying to adjust to his new living arrangements.Good luck, and again, you both have hearts of gold. A lot of people might not want to take on the responsibility of a previously abused dog. He doesn't know it yet, but he is one one lucky dog to have been adopted by such a caring family..

• its like a wild animal. if you hold out food for a deer, do you really think it will come eat? it doesnt trust you yet.have you ever seen the really long movie "Dances With Wolves"? in it, there is a wolf who keeps coming by the guys camp, and every time the guy tries to give him food, the wolf runs away. so the guy would put food a little ways away, and eventually, the wolf gained trust. it works the same way with a domestic dog. make sure puppy is looking and lay a treat out in front of you, a "safe" distance away, so he will be sure you wont try to catch him. start putting it closer and closer to yourself, and eventually, he will gain your trust, and you will be able to pet him.

• here r some tips that can help. my dog was the same way. he ran away when we were in the house. when we got him home after we bought him from a backyard breeder, we set him on the kitchen floor and he sat down but when i tried to go near him he scooted back. u just have to show him that he can trust u. get some good dog treats and break them up into little pieces. then sit down on the floor and if he shows intrest in them toss one bit to him. the next time toss it a little closer and a little closer. the trick is that u want him to eat a treat out of ur hand. also talk in a nice calm voice and talk very quietly. just make sure that u r down on his level. i mean when u were a kid didnt it scare u when some huge person came up and was towering over u. once he eats a treat out of ur hand then u r practically home free. just make sure he is comfortable with u being in the room and i hope this works for u cuz it sure did for me.

• Poor guy! Sounds like he's had a rough life so far. Try not approaching him, and letting him come to you, until he knows that he can trust you. It may take some time, if he was abused. Get him some new toys that can keep him occupied. When he allows it, give him extra love and attention,and start playing with him. He'll come around after he adjusts to everything and everyone. He's probably just really confused right now. Good Luck!

• If you do finally get to pet him, I have read that petting a dog under the chin instead of the top of the head will make them feel more "equal" rather than having to be submissive to you. That might help build his "confidence".

• i have a husky that was abusedif the dog doesnt come to you, come to the dog hold out a treat wait for the dog then move your hand to pet him dont push keep him calm it will just be time my husky is now fine one of the family.

• a lot of love & patience. try to offer him treats from your hand 1st. he'll associate human contact with a good thing (food) call him in quiet & gentle tones, most importantly, let him come to you. remember he thinks humans are gong to ill-reat him. it's all he knows from our kind. his previous owners should be nailed to crosses and left to the crows.