will instant grits help fatten my dog up?

My dogs eat well but they have so much energy that they run around all the time at so they look to skinny and everyone tells me that. The vet says there is nothing wrong with them health wise but they need to gain some weight. So i was wondering if…

My dogs eat well but they have so much energy that they run around all the time at so they look to skinny and everyone tells me that. The vet says there is nothing wrong with them health wise but they need to gain some weight. So i was wondering if…...
    General Dog Discussions : will instant grits help fatten my dog up?...

• will instant grits help fatten my dog up?

will instant grits help fatten my dog up? General Dog Discussions
      My dogs eat well but they have so much energy that they run around all the time at so they look to skinny and everyone tells me that. The vet says there is nothing wrong with them health wise but they need to gain some weight. So i was wondering if instant grit would help fatten them up because i was told that they would and just wanted to confirm that....

will instant grits help fatten my dog up? General Dog Discussions
    • rice,potato, cottage cheese, plain yogurt...add more raw things to their diet with more fat and protein. also look up "Satin Balls" online for a recipe to help add weight to a dog.

• dogs do not go by what they weight but body condition and if your vet says that they do not need to gain weight I would listen, having overweight dogs causes a lot of stress on there body and can shorten there life span and or make it more painful. You can put them on a higher protein diet, or a more nutritious one.http://www.dogfoodproject.com/if they need to gain weight feed them three times a day or more than what you are currently feeding.

• try a higher fat/protein dog food. Wellness CORE is great.http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/dog_wellness_grain_index.htmldo not add grit! dogs don't need grains. I try to keep grain totally out of Chocolate's(thats his name, not the candy! lol) diet. He gets CORE reduced fat, 5 days weekly(obviously in your case, i'd avoid reduced fat, your dog needs to GAIN), raw egg,yogurt,and raw meat twice weekly. no grain whatsoever.

• More calories from any source will put weight on the dog, but there are better things, nutritionally, than grits. How about just feeding more of their normal food? Or add a splash of olive oil to their food.