what to do when the dog scratches her butt on the carpet?

My dog keeps scratching her butt on the carpet, what does that mean? Could she have worms? Is there something I can do to help relieve the itch?

My dog keeps scratching her butt on the carpet, what does that mean? Could she have worms? Is there something I can do to help relieve the itch?...
    General Dog Discussions : what to do when the dog scratches her butt on the carpet?...

• what to do when the dog scratches her butt on the carpet?

what to do when the dog scratches her butt on the carpet? General Dog Discussions
      My dog keeps scratching her butt on the carpet, what does that mean? Could she have worms? Is there something I can do to help relieve the itch?

what to do when the dog scratches her butt on the carpet? General Dog Discussions
    • Her anal glands need to be expressed. Take her to the vet and have this done before the glands impact and infect. If left without treatment the anal glands will rupture and then you and the dog have a serious problem.

• It could be worms, it could be she is passing, with difficulty, something she got in to, or it could be impacted anal glands.Take a stool sample in to the vet to see if worms are the problem. NEVER treat your dog for a worm infestation unless you are sure he has them.

• If you want to save the money you can Google 'dog anal gland' and learn to do it yourself or you can just let the dog scoot and it'll push out the foul smelling stuff onto the carpet. You won't see it but you may smell it.