Why does my dog always express specifically on my husband, even though my dog has recently been expressed?

My 2.5 yo male mixed dog was expressed only 2 months ago. He just expressed on my husband while sitting on his lap this evening. This used to happen often during car rides, again with my dog on my husband's lap - one time, just three days after he was…

Why does my dog always express specifically on my husband, even though my dog has recently been expressed?

My 2.5 yo male mixed dog was expressed only 2 months ago. He just expressed on my husband while sitting on his lap this evening. This used to happen often during car rides, again with my dog on my husband's lap - one time, just three days after he was…...
    General Dog Discussions : Why does my dog always express specifically on my husband, even though my dog has recently been expressed?...

• Why does my dog always express specifically on my husband, even though my dog has recently been expressed?

Why does my dog always express specifically on my husband, even though my dog has recently been expressed? General Dog Discussions
      My 2.5 yo male mixed dog was expressed only 2 months ago. He just expressed on my husband while sitting on his lap this evening. This used to happen often during car rides, again with my dog on my husband's lap - one time, just three days after he was expressed (the dog, not my husband). We've been told by the vet that his anal glands are fine. We just want to know why my dog keeps choosing my husband to express on, almost associatively. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Why does my dog always express specifically on my husband, even though my dog has recently been expressed? General Dog Discussions
    • I have a mini daushund and never had heard of this until him. But the only time he does it is when he is scared. I also think it can be their way of marking their territory. But again mine is just when he's scared and its usually with company not family.

• I assume this is all about his anal glands? If so, these glands shouldn't need touching - I'd suggest most dogs would go through their entire life without needing them to be manually emptied.Working normally, they should express just a little fluid with the passing of every normal stool. When there is a period of abnormal stools, diahorrea or the opposite is when things can go wrong and the glands (one side or both) can become clogged and infected. If they are being continually emptied manually, they will refill and whereas if left alone they should be working properly, the more these glands are messed around with, the more likely they are to cause problems.If when your vet saw him last time, he said the glands are fine, then they are fine. It could just be the way he sits pushes on the glands, so they leak. Just as can be done manually, externally. I suggest you don't let him sit on your husband's lap. And it's far better to have him in a crate at the back of the car, when travelling. It's too easy for a tragedy to occur if you travel with a dog on somebody's lap.There is no way he would empty his glands 'deliberately' on your hubby. LOL There has to be pressure applied to the glands, as can be seen with scooting. This link may help - note what it says about tail raising, and 'pressure' http://dogs.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Dog_Anal_Glands