Why is my dog getting horrible dry skin?

Its in random spots on her back, and the skin is severely flaky, sometimes its even a bit bloody. In fact it looks similar to cradle cap. Why is she getting this all of a sudden? how can I get rid of it?

Its in random spots on her back, and the skin is severely flaky, sometimes its even a bit bloody. In fact it looks similar to cradle cap. Why is she getting this all of a sudden? how can I get rid of it?...
    General Dog Discussions : Why is my dog getting horrible dry skin?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why is my dog getting horrible dry skin?

Why is my dog getting horrible dry skin? General Dog Discussions
      Its in random spots on her back, and the skin is severely flaky, sometimes its even a bit bloody. In fact it looks similar to cradle cap. Why is she getting this all of a sudden? how can I get rid of it?

Why is my dog getting horrible dry skin? General Dog Discussions
    • The cause could be a number of things including mange. In fact if the dry skin is confined to one area, like the back, then there is probably another issue than just dry skin and you probably want to call your vet and explain the problem.In the meantime here are some things you can try.Get tea tree oil from a health store and mix it 50/50 with water, put it in a spray bottle and spray the affected area. This will soothe the itching and help reduce the possibility of infection.Check her food and see if it contains omega-3 and 6. This is essential for the natural oil that keeps the skin from drying out. If there isn't any, put a teaspoon of olive oil on her food each time you fill up the bowl.If it turns out to be hot spots, give your dog an oatmeal bath. You can buy oatmeal shampoo at any pet shop. This will cool down the skin and calm your dog.See the link for more ideas.

• You don't say what age your dog is, nor what you are feeding, which can make a difference to what conclusions we can come to. Really need more info. I would personally use either Calendula cream or Calendula tincture, which will not only soothe, but deal with any infection. If you buy the tincture, you need to use as follows:- Put 10mls of the tincture into a cup, and pour over 90 mls of "just off the boil" water. Allow to cool. Bathe as often as you need. (The actual tincture should be kept in a cool, dark place.) The diluted "medicine" will keep for 4/5 days in the fridge.Rachel W:- Tee Tree Oil needs to be much more diluted than 50/50......just about 4 drops to one pint of water.