How much should I feed my adult male cat?

He is a big cat about 19 pounds and three years old. He stays indoors. I have only been feeding him dry food but the vet said i should incorporate wet. How much dry/wet food should i give him?My vet says he should be 16-16.5 pounds

He is a big cat about 19 pounds and three years old. He stays indoors. I have only been feeding him dry food but the vet said i should incorporate wet. How much dry/wet food should i give him?My vet says he should be 16-16.5 pounds...
    General Dog Discussions : How much should I feed my adult male cat?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How much should I feed my adult male cat?

How much should I feed my adult male cat? General Dog Discussions
      He is a big cat about 19 pounds and three years old. He stays indoors. I have only been feeding him dry food but the vet said i should incorporate wet. How much dry/wet food should i give him?My vet says he should be 16-16.5 pounds

How much should I feed my adult male cat? General Dog Discussions
    • First, ask the vet how much your cat is supposed to weigh. Then feed your cat according to the instructions on the bag for the weight your cat is supposed to be, less the amount of wet food that you will add in.

• I usually feed my cat 1/2 to 1/3 of what was recommended on the packaging.The same for toothpaste and shampoo I use at 1/10 of what is recommended [by the seller].Cats are more self regulating than dogs.I had daily clean water and a small amount [1-3 tablespoons] of dry food that was at will available.You can get an idea of how much is eaten by monitoring daily and routinely weighing the cat.Ash content in cat food is harmful to most male cats. My cat terribly ill and was cured when I changed food.At one point the wife had several dogs - we had a large rural back yard full of dog poohs.We changed to a higher protein food and the pooh disappeared.I also feed the dogs less than what the packages recommended. Our dogs were not fat and were healthy, loved and cared for well.

• I agree with S.R., you should be feeding less than what the recommended amount on the dry food says. If you can, try using a lot more wet food and significantly decreasing the dry food. Your vet probably suggested wet food to help your cat lose weight as My cats are 9 and 10 pounds and they are very active but they still only get 2 tablespoons of dry food per day and 3 tablespoons of wet food per day. They are in excellent shape, if i fed them what the wet and dry food labels suggest i have no doubt they would be porkers! The important question is how much dry food are you currently feeding?