On average how much does a large breed eat?

We are thinking about getting a 3rd dog but the 2 we currently have are under 10lbs and hardly eat much at all. Before I get one I am just making sure we will have plenty of money with food supplies, flea meds and proper vet care. We are looking at dogs…

We are thinking about getting a 3rd dog but the 2 we currently have are under 10lbs and hardly eat much at all. Before I get one I am just making sure we will have plenty of money with food supplies, flea meds and proper vet care. We are looking at dogs…...
    General Dog Discussions : On average how much does a large breed eat?...

• On average how much does a large breed eat?

On average how much does a large breed eat? General Dog Discussions
      We are thinking about getting a 3rd dog but the 2 we currently have are under 10lbs and hardly eat much at all. Before I get one I am just making sure we will have plenty of money with food supplies, flea meds and proper vet care. We are looking at dogs between 50-80lbs on average how many lbs of food do they eat a month?

On average how much does a large breed eat? General Dog Discussions
    • Prepare to pay for the $30-50 per bag foods. They eat a lot. They require more food in their bowls. It depends on the breed. A 40lbs bag will last my Border Collie for 2 months (but she is on a strict diet) and the same bag would last by boyfriends BoxBull the same. My cousin's lab would go through it in 2 weeks. Ask your vet about your specific breed. In any case, you will need to buy the larger poundage.

• I have a 55-65LB dog. He eats 2-3.5LBS/day (PMD) I spend approx 1500 a year to feed him. Due to this very high quality species appropriate diet, I do not need to buy medications. Flea treatment is only done 6 months a year (90$ a year)

• Hi! As a rule of thumb, for example, a full grown German Shepherd Dog needs to eat around 2 lbs (800g) of meat a day, plus biscuits and treats (if you give those). (If you're feeding dry food, I think that would be equivalent to around 400 grams a day, but I don't feed dry stuff so you might check that.)Please be aware that the manufacturers of dog food are in the business of making you buy more, so the quantities they suggest feeding your dog on the packaging are usually around TWICE what you SHOULD be feeding! My GSD x collie (who weighs just 25 kilos/55 lbs) has 1.5 tins of meat a day (600g) plus biscuits, treats and scraps (say, fish skin or the fat off a chop, etc), but she is outdoors a lot of the time and gets two good walks a day.Why don't you buy a breed book, which will advise you how much to feed the particular breed you're hoping to get? If you're planning on getting a larger dog, please note that it's much better to feed him or her two meals a day rather than one huge meal (I feed my dog half a tin in the morning and one tin in the evening).