I just adopted a dog. she has dry itchy flaky skin on her ears, what is it?

We have a vet appointment thursday but i would like to know if there is anything i can do to ease her. She is stressed from the shelter and just got spayed yesterday. She is scratching like crazy the last two hours.

We have a vet appointment thursday but i would like to know if there is anything i can do to ease her. She is stressed from the shelter and just got spayed yesterday. She is scratching like crazy the last two hours....
    General Dog Discussions : I just adopted a dog. she has dry itchy flaky skin on her ears, what is it?...

• I just adopted a dog. she has dry itchy flaky skin on her ears, what is it?

I just adopted a dog. she has dry itchy flaky skin on her ears, what is it? General Dog Discussions
      We have a vet appointment thursday but i would like to know if there is anything i can do to ease her. She is stressed from the shelter and just got spayed yesterday. She is scratching like crazy the last two hours.

I just adopted a dog. she has dry itchy flaky skin on her ears, what is it? General Dog Discussions
    • They're probably just ears. Dogs ears are actually quite similar to humans ears. They both use auditory sensory receptors to how you would say "hear" things. If her ears are all fully grown in and they're not falling off you should be fine.

• It may be a reaction to stress but it could also be caused by diet. Many dogs are allergic to commercial foods because they contains grains, which is not a dog's natural and ancestral diet. If you can, try changing to a raw food diet such as recommended in http://www.barfworld.com/ and other internet raw diet sites. It will be less expensive that commercial foods. If for whatever reason a raw diet is impractical for you to manage, then a 'no grain' pelleted diet is also a good choice.