Will there always be dogs hanging around when a dog is in heat?

I believe my chiuaua is having her first heat. But there aren't any dogs hanging around. She's an indoor dog and seldom goes out. So could that be way there aren't any dogs around? I just want to be sure that she is in heat and there isn't something…

I believe my chiuaua is having her first heat. But there aren't any dogs hanging around. She's an indoor dog and seldom goes out. So could that be way there aren't any dogs around? I just want to be sure that she is in heat and there isn't something…...
    General Dog Discussions : Will there always be dogs hanging around when a dog is in heat?...

• Will there always be dogs hanging around when a dog is in heat?

Will there always be dogs hanging around when a dog is in heat? General Dog Discussions
      I believe my chiuaua is having her first heat. But there aren't any dogs hanging around. She's an indoor dog and seldom goes out. So could that be way there aren't any dogs around? I just want to be sure that she is in heat and there isn't something going on that I need to take her to the vet for.

Will there always be dogs hanging around when a dog is in heat? General Dog Discussions
    • If she is in heat she will be swollen and you will see a little blood. If she doesn't go out much, that is why you don't have male dogs hanging around. Since she is small, please go out with her when she does go. A big male dog could kill her if it gets to her. Be very careful

• if she was around male dogs they would sniff her. they can smell the scent of a female in heat from a long way away. if he is discharging and has black or reddish blood coming out, she is in heat.Dont worry, this is normal. we put little girl panties on our female and cut a hole out for her tail and use a pantie liner. this works great. Good luck!

• If you take her outside (at all), other male dogs will smell it and come around. If she goes to the bathroom outside, then again the male dogs can smell that and will linger around your house. You seem worried about a lack of male dogs following her around, but again her being inside all of the time would contribute as there's less of a chance for the males to smell her. It could also be a lack of male dogs in your area. If you want to see if she's in heat, check out her nipples and vulva, as they will both be swollen. Unless you plan on having puppies, you better keep her inside and far away from any un-neutered males. After a couple days of being in heat, she'll start to release blood (so make sure you have her diapered up for that). Good luck!