Tell me EVERYTHING you know about guniea pigs!?

EVERYTHING!

EVERYTHING!...
    General Dog Discussions : Tell me EVERYTHING you know about guniea pigs!?...

• Tell me EVERYTHING you know about guniea pigs!?

Tell me EVERYTHING you know about guniea pigs!? General Dog Discussions
      EVERYTHING!

Tell me EVERYTHING you know about guniea pigs!? General Dog Discussions
    • "Everything" would not fit in the space provided to answer this question. Sorry, but you're going to have to do your own research. If you're too lazy to research the pet you want, you probably aren't cut out to own it anyway :/

• 1. They live better in pairs or groups but can live alone just fine but give them more attention and luv if you only get one.2. They are prey animals so need a igloo for hiding.3. They have poor eye site, but I've heard in the dark they see better.4. Like all rodents need wood chews or hard toys to chew on to keep their teeth short cuz they never stop growing(yes this is true).5. They need play time everyday.6. Need to be fed fruits anf veggies at least every other day but shouldn't count as their diet.7. They don't produce their own vitamin C so you can add vita vitamine C drops in their water.9. Also they don't produce salt so a salt wheel is also necessary.10. They need a bath ever 3 months at least with tear free human shampoo or you can get rodent shampoo in the pets stores rodent section.11. Use aspen bedding NOT pine bedding.12. Only same gender piggies in one cage.13. Males are more territorial than females and if you have a male and female DO NOT add another male cuz the males will fight over the females14. DO NOT breed them unless you are an experienced guinea pig breeder cuz there could be complications.15. When the females reach a sertain age which I think is like 5 months old should not be bred cuz their pelvic bones will fuse and their stomachs can't expand.16. When bringing them home put them in their cage and do not touch them for at least 72 hours(3 days).17. After the 3 days slowly start to pet them so they can get used to your smell, and when you can pick them up start let them eat out of your hands.18. When picking them up out of their cage if they start circling the cage trying to runaway from you stop and try again later cuz they are pray animals and may think you are a predator.20. How you treat them and train them will depend on how their attitude is developed as with any animal.21. No guinea pig is alike if you get 2 or more don't expect them to have the same temperment or personality.22. They sleep with their eyes open cuz in the wild they always have to be on the look out for predators.23. They don't need a hamster ball or wheel cuz their backs can't bend the way hamster or other rodents like gerbles, mice, and chinchillas.24. They have very delicate backs.25. They have a very strong sence of smell.26. They do need to go to the vet at least twice a year, but only to an exotic vet cuz regular vets can miss diagnose them, although some dogs and cat vet do specialize in exotic animals to.28. Use a water bottle for their water not a bowl cuz they can get their bedding in their water and contaminate it.29. If you have dogs or cats make sure they can't get to them and when you have your piggie out for play time supervise them when your other pets are around.31. If you have a type of terrier or hound dog they will proly try and hunt your piggie so be extra careful that they can't reach them.32. Herding dogs or working breeds will proly just try and herd your piggie not hurt them, or may even try protecting them from harm.33. If you have toy breed they may view your piggie as an equal because they are similar in size and may bond well with them.34. Make sure you supervise all interactions with your dog and piggie.35. Use caution when introducing them to cats some will view them as pray and others may want to cuddle with your piggie. 36. They have like a 5 to 8 year life span but can live a lot longer then the average life span.37. There are 23 varieties of coat colors and patterns.38. Regular handling will result in a more cuddly guinea pig.39. They need hay available to them preferrably timothy hay.41. Most store bought cages are to small a C&C cage should be like 2x3 for a single pig.42. There are 13 different guinea pig breeds.43. They need food and water available to them at all times and that also includes hay.45. Keep males with males and females with females unless you want babies.46. Long haired pigs need their hair brushed regularly to keep it from knoting.47. Short haired pigs only need occational brushing to keep a healthy coat unlike the longer haired pigs. 48. Guinea pigs are the opposite from other rodents such as hamsters they sleep at night and stay awake during the day, except they will take an occational nap during the afternoon.49. They hardly bite buy may nip at you when they don't want to be

• Well, I know a lot. One thing I'm going to tell you that most people overlook is this:DON'T FEED THEM PELLET FOOD.It slowly poisons their body. All rodents. I lost my chinchilla to this, and almost my rabbit to the same thing two weeks ago, when I found out what the cause was.The unnatural toxins often build up in their intestines, creating a balloonish bulge of toxins and poisons from the food. They are instinctively programmed to not show any signs of sickness until it's too late, since they're prey animals. What it does is it causes them so much cramping pain that eventually they cannot take it anymore. They stop eating, moving and just lay there sleepying a lot- appear to be really lazy and inactive. This can be VERY sudden. They usually die the day or the day after you start to notice these things. It gives them so much pain that they have a heartattack and die.This can be COMPLETELY avoided by feeding them a strict and NATURAL diet of veggies & hay. NO pellet food. No matter how 'premium' it appears to be.P.s. My rabbit is alright now... we caught it in the nick of time. They wanted to put him down because they didn't think he would make it. My friend is an animal health technician and saved him. He was hooked to an IV for a while and had to be fed special medicinal food through a syringe. Not pleasant. And expensive. Don't make my mistakes.