How do I train my dog to walk past other dogs without flipping out?

I have a 6 year old golden retriever who thinks he's 6 months old! He's pretty well trained at home but once we're on the other side of the fence he turns into a big goofy dog.We walk along a boardwalk regularly and there isn't enough room to steer…

I have a 6 year old golden retriever who thinks he's 6 months old! He's pretty well trained at home but once we're on the other side of the fence he turns into a big goofy dog.We walk along a boardwalk regularly and there isn't enough room to steer…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do I train my dog to walk past other dogs without flipping out?...

• How do I train my dog to walk past other dogs without flipping out?

How do I train my dog to walk past other dogs without flipping out? General Dog Discussions
      I have a 6 year old golden retriever who thinks he's 6 months old! He's pretty well trained at home but once we're on the other side of the fence he turns into a big goofy dog.We walk along a boardwalk regularly and there isn't enough room to steer clear of other dogs so I'd like to be able to train him walk past them with some manners and dignity! Can anyone help with some training tips?

How do I train my dog to walk past other dogs without flipping out? General Dog Discussions
    • Well, I would suggest letting him RUN before the walk , that way he wont be so excited.. I have to put a back pack on my dog with a little Weight in it, so it tires him out good before a walk around people and other dogs, It does make a big difference.. Plus you can bribe them with food.. Carry some favorite doggie snacks with you and when he starts acting up , get his attention with the food. Soon he will learn to stay calm and he gets a treat.Hope that helped.Good luck.

• Do you have a dog park in your area? My dog only flips out when seeing other dogs when she hasn't been to the dog park lately. If I don't bring her at least three times a week she turns into a brat and nearly tackles every dog she sees. lol

• Ultimate solve! A head collar. They really are the best thing for situations like that and most of the time after using one briefly you don't need it anymore. Use warm hotdog or cooked chicken to distract your dog before he sees the other dog this can help. try switching the sie of your body that your dog is walking on, putting your body between him and the other dog could provide a bit of a damper. Good luck.

• Im not an expert but I can suggest you some programs on dog training that had helped me.Check out the following sitehttp://www.yourstopshop.com/Secrets_To_Dog_Trainingorhttp://www.yourstopshop.com/Easy_DIY_Dog_Training

• my dog does the same thing i learned from the dog whisperer to stay calm and relaxed i keep my head up and face forward and continue as if there is no issue keep the dog at your side tugging the leash everytime the dog turns his head or tries to resist the continuation of the walk .. it works for my 90 pound pit bull i weigh 110 pounds so its totally unacceptable it takes some time so practice practice have faith your dog will learn