Putting a Dog to sleep?

How/ would you tell your 9 year old child that its time to put her dog to sleep? He's 16 years old and he's getting put to sleep today. We are getting her a new one, but how do we tell her? Would you tell her the truth?

Putting a Dog to sleep?

How/ would you tell your 9 year old child that its time to put her dog to sleep? He's 16 years old and he's getting put to sleep today. We are getting her a new one, but how do we tell her? Would you tell her the truth?...
    General Dog Discussions : Putting a Dog to sleep?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• We went through this not long age. We were straight with our nine year old and our 14 year old chose to go with. We both cried, it was extremely hard. I agree with others that have answered not to get another pup straight away. Let emotions mellow and a new pup is your nine year olds idea. Research all breeds and talk about them together. Children are resilient, and will appreciate you being honest.

• Absolutely... Tell her the truth.Make sure it's a family affair. And, if possible, get the new puppy today as well. You may not feel up to it, but with the other advice above, your daughter will quickly move on to the new puppy. Sure, it's hard, but you dont need to make up any fairy tales for this... You will find she is probably more capable of dealing with this than you will be. Ive put an animal down before.... not much fun. It was even a cat... I hate cats, but this one was my mom's and I grew up with the little worthless bastard. 22 years old. He jumped off the couch at mom's house and collapsed. He couldnt get up on his own effort. Mom called me. I told her what had to be done. She reluctantly agreed. I went to her house and picked up her and Churchill (Pet Semetary - ironic), then took her to the 24hr vet. They agreed that it was time. The vet came in and inserted a catheter, said he would be back in a few minutes and it would be time. Really rough sh7t.. Mom was a friggin wreck. Church was sitting on the table, probably none the wiser I thought. But then the vet came in with the "pink death" and that little ass of a cat stood up gracefully one last time. The vet hooked up the syringe to the catheter, gave it a little push. Churchill licked is lips twice and lights out. Really quick.I will never forget that graceful "last stand". Little bastard knew and I think he accepted what was happening and did so honorably. He will always be that exception to my hatred for cats.

• My 15 year old daughter and I agree, you have to tell her the truth. And as far as getting another dog, if you had the time I would recommend getting it before you put yours to sleep. We had to put our 5 year old shep/collie to sleep 2 years ago, and the kids where so use to having the dog around, that they could not even sleep at night once she was gone. Our children took the loss of the dog as had as the loss of a relative. Once we got the new dog, they where able to talk more openly about missing Cudddles, and it really helped them heal.

• I am so very sorry for the loss of your dog, who has been a companion to your daughter for all of her life perhaps. Please spend most of the day with her today, and if you can, please let her say goodbye to her friend. I would recommend telling her that you have some sad news about your dog, but that for your dog, it is maybe good news because it is time for him to pass on to another stage and join any of his friends who may have predeceased him, as well as time for him to let go of any pain and sickness that he has. Letting her express her feelings at losing him physically, and helping her find ways to carry him in her heart will be very important. You haven't mentioned what your own faith is, but if your family has a belief system, then talk about your dog's loss in that context. Really helping her understand that his pain and suffering are not fair to him and that he can live on in spirit and be with her always in her heart is the focus. Children like to say goodbye. They also like to be involved even in difficult events. You will need to find your own comfort level about how to involve your child in your dog's passing. I recently took my 18 year old cat in who was dying of kidney disease and had a vet tell me that it would be "too hard" for me to be present in the room as he helped her pass. I left and used a hospice vet, instead, to help her pass at home. It was a much better experience for us both.I would recommend that you and your daughter (and any family members) help create something to honor your dog. A memorial collage, drawing, or poem, perhaps a song or even a flower arrangement. Some children like to have funerals or a celebration of your dog's life with or without your dog's remains. Giving your daughter some choices about how to honor your dog and celebrate his life can help with the lack of choice she has about his passing. The Rainbow Bridge is a well-known piece that I think you can find on the web about animal's passing. It may be helpful.Finally, know that you are helping your daughter understand the greater circle of life and that tears are an important way to mourn. Will be thinking of you all as you prepare for the loss of your dog and perhaps some new life in the family to help ease the grief of losing him.

• Wow, this is a tough one. First of all let me say that I'm against putting an animal down unless it's in serious suffering, but not just because he's old. What's your reason for doing this? Is it because he has an illness that can't be cured and he'll suffer? Or is it because he's old and takes more care than he did in his teen years?? Think about that first. I believe that your child seeing your dog pass naturally (as long as there's no painful suffering) is the best way to let your dog die. But, if there's really no choice and you must put him down.....1. Explain to your child that dogs don't live as long as people and because they can't talk we don't always know what's wrong with them and therefore we can't always help them get better.2. According to her age I'll assume that your child is in 3rd grade, which means she will begin multiplication. Figure up together how old your dog would be if he *were* human. Aproximately 110 years old. That's old!3. Have your child say his goodbyes to your much loved doggie.4. If you can, have a funeral for your dog and bury him in a special place that you can visit with your child. If you can't bury him and must let the vet take care of him then at least set up a memorial of some sort for him. A simple cross with his name on it and some flowers would do.5. DO NOT run right out and get another puppy. Give yourself and your child some time to heal. After a few weeks or months even, talk to your child about getting another dog and talk about what kind of dog (little, medium, large) would be the best for you to get. I suggest you visit your local animal shelter and adopt a dog from there. Getting a puppy isn't always that best thing and there's so many dogs in shelters that need homes. Perhaps your first visit might just be to look. If you don't find a dog the first time that's okay, you can come back. Some shelters will even call you if you have a certain type of dog you're looking for and one comes into the shelter. FYI, I don't believe there's a doggy heaven...but there is a heaven and I believe there's room for every animal God creates. If you're a believer too you can pass that info on to your child. Also, I don't believe in reincarnation, even for animals so I don't think it would be wise of you to tell your child that your dog will come back as a puppy again. That's giving false hopes and you have no idea how long your child would be looking for your beloved dog if you tell him/her that.Best wishes to you and your family. I know how hard it is too lose a family member and how hard the decision is to put one down. I pray that God gives you peace and comfort in your time of sorrow.

• how sad. i think thats its sort of mean to replace a dog. you should tell her to think of all the good times they had together, or you can make a scap book of the dog. take on last pic w/ the dog and your daughter. i still think its mean to replace a dog, dont do it right away!