How do I make my dog get along with my cats?

I have 3 grown cats that get along ok with dogs. But 2 months ago I got a 6 month old Shiutz x Maltese and I unfortunately forgot to ask if the dog liked cats. It turns out he doesn't. Every time he see's one of my cats he barks at it chases it ad tries…

I have 3 grown cats that get along ok with dogs. But 2 months ago I got a 6 month old Shiutz x Maltese and I unfortunately forgot to ask if the dog liked cats. It turns out he doesn't. Every time he see's one of my cats he barks at it chases it ad tries…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do I make my dog get along with my cats?...

• How do I make my dog get along with my cats?

How do I make my dog get along with my cats? General Dog Discussions
      I have 3 grown cats that get along ok with dogs. But 2 months ago I got a 6 month old Shiutz x Maltese and I unfortunately forgot to ask if the dog liked cats. It turns out he doesn't. Every time he see's one of my cats he barks at it chases it ad tries to bite my cats backside. My cat's have now taken to isolating themselves upstairs on my sons top bunk bed where the dog can't get them. What can do???

How do I make my dog get along with my cats? General Dog Discussions
    • It takes a while for pets to get used to each other. The dog is still a puppy too and probably doesn't quite know how to handle cats especially if it hasn't been around them. you just have to slowly introduce them to one another and they will learn to live together. It just takes patience on everyone's part ;0)

• You train the dog to ignore the cats. Keep him on a leash and correct him any time he shows any reaction to the cats, praise him any time he manages to be in the same room without reacting. Once he's fairly reliable on the leash, try it without the leash. It takes time and paying close attention, because you have to catch the dog at it every time.

• Teach your dog to be comfortable around them by rewarding good behavior around them and saying "No!" when he shows bad ones. Eventually he will catch on and will learn to except the fact that they are there all the time.

• Cats and dogs are mostly enemies. so if you need to raised both of them , you should make them adapt at their young age. But in your case you can try to train them. There is a web for training animals without violence or force . why don,t you try it'''TheDogTrainingSecret.com ''. i am sure it might help you. Best luck.