My dog most likely will be put to sleep...?

My dog went to the vet today, and I was told that she has cancer, and a golf-ball size tumor.They said it is too late to perform any surgery, and will either bleed to death, or will need to be put to sleep.Of course, I don't want her to suffer, so I…

My dog went to the vet today, and I was told that she has cancer, and a golf-ball size tumor.They said it is too late to perform any surgery, and will either bleed to death, or will need to be put to sleep.Of course, I don't want her to suffer, so I…...
    General Dog Discussions : My dog most likely will be put to sleep...?...

• My dog most likely will be put to sleep...?

My dog most likely will be put to sleep...? General Dog Discussions
      My dog went to the vet today, and I was told that she has cancer, and a golf-ball size tumor.They said it is too late to perform any surgery, and will either bleed to death, or will need to be put to sleep.Of course, I don't want her to suffer, so I chose to put her down. She will probably be put down, by the latest, Friday.I need some words of encourgement.. got any stories or something? I've never lost a animal before.. and I'm going through a really hard time.thanks.

My dog most likely will be put to sleep...? General Dog Discussions
    • I am so sorry. I can't imagine how hard it is. I don't have any great stories. I can only suggest that you spend time with your memories of her living and hold on to those. Appreciate the time you have had with her. I'll pray for you.

• I'm really sorry to hear about your poor little dog. I would go to the vet to see her and say goodbye. It makes you feel very sad but buying a new puppy always makes you feel better afterwards.

• Er.. Hug?I have never had a pet, but what you said sounds awful- I am actually glad it is being relieved of its pain.Er, really, get a friend who is nearby. Talk to someone who cares face-to-face, if you can.

• LESSON FROM THE DOG>>>>>>>>> This explains why we have so many dogs . . . . .>>>>>>>> *Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old>>>> Irish wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa,>>>> an d their little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker, >>>> and they were hoping for a miracle.>>>>>>>> I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the>>>> family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform>>>> the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.>>>>>>>> As we made arrangements, Ron and Lis a told me they thought it would>>>> be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt>>>> Shane might learn something from the experience.>>>>>>>> The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's>>>> family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for>>>> the last time, that I wondered if he und erstood what was going on.>>>> Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.>>>>>>>> The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any>>>> difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's>>>> death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are>>>> shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly,>>>> piped up, 'I know why.'>>>>>>>> Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next>>>> stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.>>>>>>>> He said, 'People are born so that they can learn how to live a good>>>> life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?' The>>>> six-year-old continued, 'Well, dogs already know how to do that, so>>>> they don't have to stay as long.'>>>>>>>> Live simply.>>>> Love generously.>>>> Care deeply.>>>> Speak kindly.>>>>>>>> Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:>>>>>>>> When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.>>>>>>>> Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.>>>>>>>> Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure>>>> ecstasy.>>>>>>>> Take naps.>>>>>>>> Stretch before rising.>>>>>>>> Run, romp, and play daily.>>>>>>>> Thrive on attention and let people touch you.>>>>>>>> Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.>>>>>>>> On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.>>>>>>>> On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.>>>>>>>> When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.>>>>>>>> Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.>>>>>>>> Eat with gusto and enthusiasm. Stop when you h ave had enough.>>>>>>>> Be loyal. Never pretend to be something you're not.>>>>>>>> If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.>>>>>>>> When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle>>>> them gently.>>>>>>>> Being always grateful for each new day and for the blessing of you.>>>>>>>> ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF EVERY DAY

• aww Im sorry your going thru this! I know how it feels to put down a dog. I had to put mine down in 04 cause she was having kidney failure. Though I didn't fully know that she had signs of it. I miss her to this day but I have my other 2 dogs who give me the love that I miss from her.

• I don't really know what to say to make you feel better, but just know that you are doing the best thing for her. I have lost pets before, and it is a very hard thing to go through, it is as bad as losing a friend or family member. My heart is with you, and I will pray that you get through the loss of your companion.

• I have 3 dogs that are like my children. I have tears in my eyes, now they are dripping. I saw this in a store, framed once and thought that it be fitting. Author unknown. I looked it up on the internet. I hope this helps you.Just this side of Heaven, is a place called Rainbow Bridge...Rainbow Bridge poemWhen an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food and water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they miss someone very special to them; who had to be left behind.They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. The bright eyes are intent; the eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to break away from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. YOU have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together...--author unknown

• I think I'd get another opinion.If your dog doesn't seem to be suffering, I'd wait to put her down until she does. Keep her with you as long as possible.Dealing with any kind of death is horrible. Even though so many people die every single day, it's still tough, especially to Americans, to lose someone we love. Here with such excellent medical service, we don't become acquainted with death like, perhaps, an African would.Be that as it may, you are hurting and I can only say one thing, and this is my opinion, not a Biblical truth. I believe that our animals, the much-loved ones, will be with us in our afterlife. I believe you will see her again. And you can love her for a long, long time.TX Mom

• oh my god, that is horrible!! listen, i had a dog and i had to put it down the day after his birthday he just turned 6 and he had seizures and we didn't want him to suffer, it was actually my sisters dog, then we gave him to my grandparents, and they loved him more than ever.. but do not worry, you will get through this i know me and my family did, yes there was depression but you know what, just spend time with the dog, and you can pray for it, but you will get through this, and you can have him/her cremated and you will always have her in your house, but you know what, she/he will always lie with you in your heart... i really hope i helped and.. my condolences.....

• My heart goes out to you and the pain you are going through. There are no words to take the pain away, this is something you must go through. Remember all the good times you had with her and know that you can never replace her and do not try to right away. When you are through with the mourning period of losing you pet I just know that you will make some lucky pet truly happy.Once again I am sorry for the loss you are about to have,and remember she will not be in pain anymore.God bless.

• Yes, it is very hard. I've had to do it more than once, when dog we've had got to the point their quality of life was so poor there was no justification for making them suffer any longer. When they reach that point, the most caring thing you can do is release them from their pain.It's OK to grieve, but also try to remeber the good things and times you had. And when you're ready, open yourself and your home to another dog that needs you.You will never forget her, but time will ease the hurt. some people find that having their pets cremated, and keeping the ashes in an urn with a picture helps.My sympathy to you.

• Well, at least you understand that you are doing the right thing by not wanting her to suffer. But i would also, if i were you, take her to another vet. Just like with human doctors, not all veterinarians know every thing, so go get a second opinion. Im not trying to get your hopes up, im just saying that its always good to get a second opinion. and if the case is she still cannot have any kind of surgery, dont beat yourself up, your doing the right thing by helping your pet go peacefully. Its always hard to lose pets, but comfort yourself with the fact that everything dies, and shes just better off not doing it in pain,euthanasia is relatively painless, other than the initial needle poke, then they go very very fast. Give her her favorite meal, tell her you love her. Sorry, i know all this sucks, but ive been through it plenty unfortunetly and it will get better.

• I lost my dog(child) 7 years ago.I had to have him put down after another dog brutally attacked him.I took my eye off of him just for a few seconds.I held my sweet baby when the injection was given.I now have my angle in heaven.He was a tiny pomerian.Life changed for me and has never been quiet the same without him.

• I would encourage you to "Google" the "Rainbow Bridge". It is a beautiful piece of work and will comfort you to know that there are many, including myself, who've faced the toughest decision involved in pet ownership. This is never easy and you will grieve but I promise the sorrow will lessen over time. I'm sure you've done the absolute best for your dog. There is no need to ever feel that you could have done more. Feelings of guilt seem to effect every pet owner that, "they could have done more" to help their pet. Please ask your veterinarian about local support groups in your area that are designed for people who've recently had a pet put down. Lots of support to be found there. Please know that others will be thinking of you!!!!!

• I am so, so sorry to hear about your dog. We had a dog put to sleep 12 years ago and it still hurts to think about it. We also had our cat put to sleep a year ago. They both had cancer. I know it will cause you deep grief, because a pet is like a family member and they give you such unconditional love, but if your dog is suffering, they'll know that you're doing what is right for them. If the vet allows you, try to stay with your dog. They just fall off to sleep. It's very peaceful. Read the poem "Rainbow Bridge". It will give you hope that your pet will always wait for you until you can cross over together and be side by side for all eternity. There's also a website, IN MEMORY OF PETS where you can go to post a memorial to your pet, such as a poem or a story along with her picture. It's very comforting to know that others share the same grief over losing their pet that you are feeling.You're in my prayers during this difficult time. Please take care of yourself and know that you'll see your precious angel again some day, where you can run and play together forever!

• My rabbit died in February. I have had alot of rescued pets in my life but I think he was the only one that ever actually enjoyed being around me, all the other had been through to much to be close to people. He would run free through my house and follow me begging to have that spot between his ears scratched. Losing him was rough, I knew he was sick, really sick, but the vet said he would probably be fine, just an obstruction. He said he would keep him for the day and he should be fine by the evening. But he wasn't, they couldn't get the obstruction out any other way but surgery. And he died in surgery. It was so sudden, I was in a daze all day. Just thinking, if I would have known, I would have spent more time with him before I left him at the vet. But I just kept remembering the night before I took him, I knew he wasn't doing well but all the vets were closed. He jumped up on my bed and refused to go in his cage for the night. It was like he knew. So I stayed up with him for hours, just petting him, hoping he would be fine. It was probably the most meaningful few hours I have ever spent. So I do hurt for you, losing a friend is something you'll never get over. Spend every moment you can with her, you don't know how much it will mean to you once she's gone.

• I am so sorry! All I can say is I went through the same kind of scene 10 years ago. My family had a dachshund. She was the sweetest thing. We all just said goodbye to her and told her how much we cared about her. I'm not going to say it wasn't hard, because I am crying just thinking about it, but in a way it was nice to be able to see her - cuddle her- and tell her how I felt one last time before she passed away. Best wishes and, again, I truly am sorry you have to go through this.

• I am going through the same exact thing myself with my 12 1/2 year old dog. I feel your pain. You are doing the RIGHT thing as painful as it is. I have managed to keep several dogs between the ages of 10 - 12 1/2 before they had to be put to sleep. I live on a farm and have a pet cemetery and am fortunate that my vet comes to my home to put them to sleep, it will be much easier on your pet than you.Remember they are only put on this earth for a short time and you have memories and that your love them enough to do the right thing.