Akita and allergy shots; any first hand experience?

I am about to start my 5 yo Akita on allergy shots, and would appreciate any experiences anyone could share.. Thanx

I am about to start my 5 yo Akita on allergy shots, and would appreciate any experiences anyone could share.. Thanx...
    General Dog Discussions : Akita and allergy shots; any first hand experience?...

• Akita and allergy shots; any first hand experience?

Akita and allergy shots; any first hand experience? General Dog Discussions
      I am about to start my 5 yo Akita on allergy shots, and would appreciate any experiences anyone could share.. Thanx

Akita and allergy shots; any first hand experience? General Dog Discussions
    • What kind of allergy shots? I know at the vet clinic where i work we sometimes use steroids to help with allergies. If your dog is going to get steroid shots you should expect increase in thirst and urination, and also increase in appetite. Otherwise they act like a normal dog, and they feel a lot better when they are not so itchy. If you are talking about a different kind of allergy shot, then I'm not sure.

• You asked the right person! I am a vet tech working at a specialty clinic. One of the doctors I work with is a board-certified dermatologist, and we use immunotherapy regularly.It is a wonderful technique, and means no more steroids or other medications, no more skin infections, etc.At least, when it works. I've seen a very good success rate, so far. Sometimes it takes a while. You might see improvement right away, but other patients don't see much for a few months. Also, be prepared when spring comes. You may have to adjust the dose when that pollen starts flying. It depends, also, on what your dog is allergic to. If it is allergic to molds, you have much less chance of success. If it's pollen, such as weeds, trees, or grasses, or if it's house dust mites, you have much more chance of success. Here are some tips:Keep in good communication with the doctor. We like to hear from our clients--if their pet starts improving, or if they start itching more, or if anything unusual occurs. Follow directions closely. We instruct our clients to give the shot once per week, on the same day each week. There is a specific amount of serum that should be given and it can cause confusion if it is not done correctly. (and if you goof, no biggie, just let the doctor/techs know what happened and they can help you!)Keep good records. Jot down how much you gave and what day you gave it, and anything you notice: less itchy, more itchy, etc. This will really help the doctor and techs know what's going on.Hope for the best, but don't expect miracles. Sometimes clients want this to work immediately, and sometimes it does, but mostly it doesn't. It can take many months to show a good improvement, but it is worth it in the long run. Feel free to email me, I can't promise I'll get back to you right away, and I can't give medical advice since I'm not a doctor and don't know your animal, but I'll help you the best I can.Good luck!