What is the best small dog to purchase?

I am getting a dog for my birthday but I don't k now what kind of dog to ask for. Any suggestions?

I am getting a dog for my birthday but I don't k now what kind of dog to ask for. Any suggestions?...
    General Dog Discussions : What is the best small dog to purchase?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is the best small dog to purchase?

What is the best small dog to purchase? General Dog Discussions
      I am getting a dog for my birthday but I don't k now what kind of dog to ask for. Any suggestions?

What is the best small dog to purchase? General Dog Discussions
    • If you don't know then I don't know that we'll be much more help. After all, it's your life. Good breeders won't sell dogs as gifts, so it will be on you to find a breed that matches you and a breeder that breeds responsibly. http://www.akc.orghttp://www.pbrc.net/breeding3.html

• Remember that a larger breed who is lazy takes up the same amount of room. Your best bet is to go to a rescue and match yourself to the dog's personality - not just the breed. Give an honest assessment of how much hyperactivity, hair, drool, and yappiness you can handle. Some dogs need a lot of exercise, others do not. Sit down and plan it out.

• Inside or outside shedding or no shedding? my favorite inside is a toy rat terrier but they shed outside is more a big dog Blue Tick Hound or Bloodhound German Sheppards are Okay unless you have other animals!

• I have two pugs and they are amazing. Very silly, loving and easy to care for. They dont chew (never have), have zero aggression and love whatever attention you want to give them. They dont need much exercise (a walk a day). My black pug hardly sheds at all, but my brindle pug does. The only thing that isnt so great is it takes most pugs a little while to be perfectly house trained. Both my pugs were 9 months old before they completely stopped having accidents.They are not a rare breed, so the price is relitively low compared to others.Honestly, it is a wonderful breed.

• It has a lot to do with your lifestyle. It's hard to make a breed suggestion without knowing anything about you. How much time do you spend outside? Do you like to walk a lot, run, etc? Do you want a dog to curl up and watch tv with you? Do you mind brushing? Would you mind going to a groomer on a regular basis? What are your expectations for a dog? How much experience with dogs do you have? Are you willing to go to training class?You may want to get a short list of breeds to research by doing an online quiz. Please do research though, since a lot of dogs end up in shelters because of owners who didn't know what they were getting into. Also please do not get a dog from a pet store, online ad, or newspaper ad as these are all from puppy mills or unethical back yard breeders.

• research the different breeds and see what fits you. If you get an adult which is what I prefer, check out the temperament. Make sure it is friendly. If you get a puppy, make sure to socialize it a lot so it will grow up to be friendly. Mixed breeds can also be very cute, There are a lot of them needing homes right now at the rescues.

• I recommend getting a Pug. I have one and I adore her! They are such happy, friendly, lovable dogs. She snuggles with me all the time and loves to be around people. With training they are very well behaved dogs. They are also great with kids and other animals. I just love them!

• I'd recommend a Shih Tzu, as well. They're sassy, fun and have great characters. In my experience, they're not super high-energy like most smaller dogs, but they aren't completely lethargic, either. They have just the right amount of energy.