5 Month German Shepherd fangs not falling out with adult fangs. Is this common?

My 5 Month Puppy's fangs do not seem to be falling out at the adult fangs are growing in. Is this common? How long should I wait before I see the Vet?

My 5 Month Puppy's fangs do not seem to be falling out at the adult fangs are growing in. Is this common? How long should I wait before I see the Vet?...
    General Dog Discussions : 5 Month German Shepherd fangs not falling out with adult fangs. Is this common?...

• 5 Month German Shepherd fangs not falling out with adult fangs. Is this common?

5 Month German Shepherd fangs not falling out with adult fangs. Is this common? General Dog Discussions
      My 5 Month Puppy's fangs do not seem to be falling out at the adult fangs are growing in. Is this common? How long should I wait before I see the Vet?

5 Month German Shepherd fangs not falling out with adult fangs. Is this common? General Dog Discussions
    • Retained or persistent deciduous teeth are very common. The “Two Tooth Rule” states that if the crown of the permanent tooth is visible above the gum line, the primary tooth should be gone. If the primary tooth is still present then it should be extracted as soon as possible. If left untreated, the primary tooth may direct the permanent tooth into an abnormal position. Timely extractions are important to allow for the permanent teeth to erupt into a normal position.

• Are the canines all the way in? Is the pup a big chewer? The puppy teeth will probably come out on their own, but if they haven't loosened and fallen out within a month it may be a good idea to check it out with a vet.The stray pup I found had her canines in about 1/2-3/4 the way in, and then lost her puppy canine. You may want to encourage chewing with your pup and see if it doesn't just happen naturally.

• u mean ur puppy is teething rite?it happens around that age, yah.sometimes their teeth grow before old ones fall out.i read something about it on a website before but i kind of of forgot...sorry....u can google it, thats where i find most of my stuff.and if ur dogs teeth look bad or something like its unhealthy or going wrong, u should see ur vet.u should see ur vet anyways just in case something is wrong so u wont be anxious about it.teething isnt really a big problem even if it is abnormal teething so just dont worry bout it.

• I would take him to the veterinarian to have him/her as well as his teeth evaluated. He/she is at the age where he/she should be getting neutered/spayed at this age or within the next month, if the veterinarian confirms that the baby canine or deciduous teeth are not going to come out then they can be removed while pet is under anesthesia for the spay/neuter. I do see this often with puppies at the pet hospital i work at.

• Common? No. But it happens.It's happened just once in my kennel. But the majority of my dogs' diet is raw meat, usually on the bone.Anyone with an interest in teeth, and in dentition problems, should click http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/The_GSD_Source/links/Teeth_aka_Dentition_001207039388/ which comes with full-colour photos of the problems discussed.Give your dog a good knobbly gnaw-bone (a couple of joints of ox-tail or sheep's spine). Gnaw bones are almost essential to a dog - not only does it have something to do when life is boring, the gnawing helps clean the teeth, exercises the cheek muscles that erect the ears, helps dislodge deciduous teeth, and helps permanent teeth break through the gums.If that hasn't worked within 24 hours, try pulling the old fang with your fingers (NO tools!). If that doesn't work, book in to have the vet extract the fang - he/she will know which is the one to be pulled, and no anaesthetic will be necessary unless your pup is a fear-biter.Having a double tooth is unlikely to be life threatening, but the longer it lasts the more the new tooth is forced to grow at a wrong angle. In proper development, the calcium in the root of the deciduous tooth is reabsorbed as the permanent tooth grows directly beneath it, making it easy for the new tooth to push the old tooth out."</3Phoen.. .":Your "He/she is at the age where he/she should be getting neutered/spayed at this age or within the next month," is SOOOOOO wrong! That is FAR too young, for several reasons. Mind you, there are still many vets who blindly parrot the myths and old wives' tales about neutering. Go read http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/The_GSD_Source/links/Neutering_001198315291/ for the latest research on the benefits and consequences of neutering at various ages.Humane societies and rescue groups don't neuter young because it's the best age; they do it regardless of age, because that's the only way they can be SURE that the pooch gets neutered - there are a LOT of lying bastards out there who will promise ANYTHING in order to get hold of a cheap dog, and then break every promise!Les P, owner of GSD_Friendly: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/GSD_Friendly"In GSDs" as of 1967

• use the knotted rope or a old towel let the dog play tug keep on pulling the knotted rope or towel trying to tug on it jerk it as much as you can this starts to loosen the puppy milk teeth and they will fall out the pup will nominally eat them the more you keep jerking the knotted rope the better it will make is baby teeth come out.if this does not get the baby teethy to start falling out then do not leave it to late go to the vets and get them removed or you will find the adult teeth will be misplaced and it will cause the dog to have problems eating as his teeth will not be in the correct posistion.