What dog can live outdoors and is closest to a cavalier king charles spaniel?

We love Cavalier King Charles Spaniels temperament, look and that they are good with young children but my hubby is allergic to dogs so we need to find an outdoor breed that suits our lifestyle. We often have someone at home but do have a few days a week…

We love Cavalier King Charles Spaniels temperament, look and that they are good with young children but my hubby is allergic to dogs so we need to find an outdoor breed that suits our lifestyle. We often have someone at home but do have a few days a week…...
    General Dog Discussions : What dog can live outdoors and is closest to a cavalier king charles spaniel?...

• What dog can live outdoors and is closest to a cavalier king charles spaniel?

What dog can live outdoors and is closest to a cavalier king charles spaniel? General Dog Discussions
      We love Cavalier King Charles Spaniels temperament, look and that they are good with young children but my hubby is allergic to dogs so we need to find an outdoor breed that suits our lifestyle. We often have someone at home but do have a few days a week were we are both our for up to 6 hrs. Dog needs to be lively enough to go for walks and runs in the park. What do you suggest.

What dog can live outdoors and is closest to a cavalier king charles spaniel? General Dog Discussions
    • You want a dog that is going to love you, be good with your kids and accompany you on your various activities and as a reward, gets to be banished to the back yard when not in use. Either get your husband some Zyrtec or don't get a dog - and I have three dogs in my home with severe dog allergies, so I am not speaking without experience.

• None. No breed of dog is suited to live alone outdoors away from its pack. And people who are allergic to dogs generally shouldn't get dogs.Your spouse should try visiting some breeder's houses of low dander/allergen producing breeds to see if he can find a dog that's compatible with his health. That's more important than looks or even temperament.Look into poodles and schnauzers to start with; they are easy to find for allergy experiments. I am a huge fan of the sporting group and giant dogs, but the coolest dog I have ever met is a miniature poodle.Also remember that a lot of how much one individual dog affects one individual allergy sufferer is THAT particular dog and THAT particular person. I have dog and cat allergies, and some dogs and cats practically make me hyperventilate, and some give me no problems. Also, I can get used to a particular dog or cat if exposed long enough.And tell your spouse to try sublingual immunotherapy for the allergies.

• It depends on the climate you live in. A lot of people might tell you to not let the dog live outside, but I can tell you that outside farm dogs do very well. Keeping the dog outside isn't going to help much with allergies though if your hubby goes outside where the dog is, or you come inside with dog hair on your clothes. Whatever you do though, don't put it on a chain or tether and do give it plenty of exercise everyday, shelter with shade, water at all times, food, bedding and love. I don't see why a Cavalier can't live outdoors in the right climate, but do be mindful of extreme weather like heat, cold, rain, snow, etc and be prepared to accommodate the dog accordingly - this goes for every breed. There are other Spaniel breeds you might want to research if you live in an area with climate trouble... Cocker, Springer, Brittany, Field, Clumber, Water, Boykin, Sussex, etc. My grandparents kept dogs (including Cocker Spaniels) outside in Missouri and they did very well, but they could run around on 350 acres. If you don't give the dog enough attention it will get behavioral problems and become unhappy because it needs to be with it's pack. You need to be willing to spend more of your day outside with the dog than inside or you'll have a sad dog. I can assure you that just about every breed is lively enough to go for walks and run in a park unless it is 90 degrees outside or the dog is unhealthy (poor diet, too fat, hypothyroidism, parasites, etc.). There are a lot of breeds that can be good with children if raised with them, and I always recommend rescue dogs. There are even breed specific rescues, but they're usually not willing to adopt to someone who won't let the dog live inside. I really can't emphasize enough though, how much you'll need to be outside with the dog... and your husband alone in the house if you're going to have a happy dog. Honestly it doesn't sound like the best family situation.

• Hate to say it, but I don't think a dog is for you. If someone is allergic to dogs in your family that the dog would have to live outside then there's a problem. Really, there is no 'hypoallergenic' dog, just some dogs like poodles (and etc.) that have less reactions because their hair (not fur) is different than most other breeds. You can go to your doctor and ask them if a dog, like a poodle, would be okay with your husband's allergies. You wouldn't want to risk your husband's health knowingly that he's allergic to dogs.

• I don't see why a Cavalier cant live outside. As long as it has food water and shelter that will keep it warm it will be fine. All but one of my dogs are outside dogs. They are working dogs though, tools of the trades. You may look at a Clumber Spaniel, a bit beefier spaniel and not alot bigger.

• There are no outdoor breeds. There are individual dogs and certain circumstances where a dog can do well living outdoors.Spaniels are not the sort of dogs that do well when kenneled or left outside. They are very social dogs that love nothing more than to be with their humans all day long. Spaniels that are strictly outside dogs tend to get anxious and neurotic. These are very sensitive dogs that constantly crave human interaction.If your husband is allergic to pet dander then you could consider something along the lines of a poodle, a Portuguese water dog, or another breed with that same coat type. However, as others have already said, it's really up to the individual person and the individual dog. Some people are more allergic to some dogs/breeds than others. Has your husband considered medication or Immunotherapy?

• I really suggest you don't get a dog or find a breed that doesn't effect your husband's allergies. Dogs are social animals. They want to be with you and in the home with you. Keeping a dog outside 24/7 is unkind. There are several breeds of dogs that don't have as much of the allergic dander as others. Look at poodles and other dogs that don't shed heavily. Have your husband handle them and hold them for quite awhile and see how he reacts. Please don't get a dog and leave it outside alone. It is cruel.

• brittany spaniel most usually live in outside with a dog house or a shelter to keep the dog in warmer place to keep out of hot or cold seasons. the breed are uslaly use as hunters they caught small animals such as birds , woodcock, quail and partridge, it is become highly valued as a hunting small game. field spaniel breed they also do hunting small wild birds and others . they only has mildest temperaments of any spaniel. as such, it makes an excellent family pet, but it is also a capable gundog. english springer spaniel can live outside but it should have a warmer shelter to sleep in because they have short coat, welsh springer spaniel can live outdoor but it its too cold or hot. should have a shelter or a dog house in case to keep itself cooler., dry clumber spaniel can live outdoors .