Whats the best way to encourage a dog to you?

My neighbous dog gets out alot and to keep its safety instead of it being hurt I would rather try to get it back in its yard. The dog is timid of strangers even though it knows who I am it is hesident and I dont want to get hurt myself. It will approach…

My neighbous dog gets out alot and to keep its safety instead of it being hurt I would rather try to get it back in its yard. The dog is timid of strangers even though it knows who I am it is hesident and I dont want to get hurt myself. It will approach…...
    General Dog Discussions : Whats the best way to encourage a dog to you?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Whats the best way to encourage a dog to you?

Whats the best way to encourage a dog to you? General Dog Discussions
      My neighbous dog gets out alot and to keep its safety instead of it being hurt I would rather try to get it back in its yard. The dog is timid of strangers even though it knows who I am it is hesident and I dont want to get hurt myself. It will approach you but wont let you touch it.

Whats the best way to encourage a dog to you? General Dog Discussions
    • But instead of cheese so he doesnt get the runs, I would pick up some doggy treats. Better for the dog and the dog will still start to love ya! Dont give him something that may make him sick.

• Dog treats. Buy a box. If he won't come close enough to you for you to feed him. Just toss one to him. Once he figures out that what you are tossing are goodies, he'll be eager to go after anything you toss. Then it's easy. Just toss a dog treat in his yard. He'll scoot back in there to get it, and you close the gate behind him.

• show him the back side of your hand so he can smell you without fear of you grabbing him. Another way a dog shows another dog he wants to play is to get down low on his fore legs and sticking his haunches in the air and lowering his head. If you get on your knees and dip your head down to the ground between your forearms, he will instinctively think you want to play

• #Kneel, or squat down, so you're less intimidating, and more at eye-level, with the dog. This works extremely well with my dog. She doesn't trust anybody the least bit aggressive. You'd be amazed at how much more approachable you seem, to them. An extreme technique would be to lie down on your back. Then the dog would probably lean right over your face. It's not necessary, but it's an excellent way to get their attention, and you can easily grab their collar while they're senses are preoccupied with your face.#The other thing would be to carry small treats, or break up bigger treats, to make little training-size treats, and tempt the dog with it. Again, kneel down, so they're less intimidated by you.

• Food.Hot dogs work nicely. Teach the dog, the "go home" command.How about helping the neighbor build a dog proof fence? There are also "invisible fences" that work nicely.Just because you are nice enough to take up the neighbor's slack and put the dog away, doesn't mean he won't get hit by a car eventually. Better to keep him penned up.

• This isn't your dog though so I would advise that you discuss your concerns with the neighbours before you start trying any befriending techniques with it. Is the dog living in poor conditions next door, is that why he's trying to escape all the time? Don't teach the dog that humans are nice if he's living with people who aren't. I would be trying to get more information about the dog's situation to better understand his psyche as you don't know what is best for him before you know what his life is like. Maybe he has a reason for behaving as he is doing and this interference may have an adverse affect on his life. If he is being abused, it's the authorities you should be talking to, not the dog.

• Have liver treats for it, buy them from the pet food area at the supermarket. calling the dog by name give it tiny bits all the way home. If you get it used to that first when it's in it's own yard that will make it easier for you.But praise it also when it comes to you.but be careful timid dogs may bite. why is it scared is it treated kindly? Nicely ask the neighbours to try & fix where it is getting out as you are worried sick it will get run over,be careful how you ask that also as some people can not be nice!

• One word FOOD!Dogs are very responsive to food, so anything smelly (warm cooked food, raw meat ect) that will get his undivided attention will do the trick.Its good that you are watching out for your neighbours dog, i wish all neighbours were caring like you.

• iTS GR8 THAT YOU HAVE RESPECT FOR OTHER PEOPLES PETS AND ARE CONCERNED. ASK YOUR NEIGHBOURS IF YOU CAN INTERACT WITH THE DOG TO GET ITS CONFIDENCE AS WHAT IS HAPPENING AND IF THEY ARE NICE PEOPLE THEY PROBABLY WILL FOR THE SAFETY OF THEIR DOG POTENTIALLY GETTING HURT OR WORSE LOST OR STOLEN.