Is it safe to use Human toothpaste on my dog?

I'm not saying I tried it already, but its just that there toothpaste seems too cheap. So I was wondering if its safe? I asked a Vet here he said its Okay but I just have to make sure I don't use a lot! He also said he isn't sure if it was safe or…

I'm not saying I tried it already, but its just that there toothpaste seems too cheap. So I was wondering if its safe? I asked a Vet here he said its Okay but I just have to make sure I don't use a lot! He also said he isn't sure if it was safe or…...
    General Dog Discussions : Is it safe to use Human toothpaste on my dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is it safe to use Human toothpaste on my dog?

Is it safe to use Human toothpaste on my dog? General Dog Discussions
      I'm not saying I tried it already, but its just that there toothpaste seems too cheap. So I was wondering if its safe? I asked a Vet here he said its Okay but I just have to make sure I don't use a lot! He also said he isn't sure if it was safe or not?!so please help me and thank you

Is it safe to use Human toothpaste on my dog? General Dog Discussions
    • Oh my, your vet is poorly mistaken and I would look into that. Human toothpaste is most certainly not safe for dogs at all! Its designed to foam and be rinsed - dogs cant do this. Dog toothpaste doesnt foam at all. It can also upset the dogs stomach somewhat (the fluoride). If you would prefer to make dog toothpaste of your own, here is a recipe, but please dont use human toothpaste.The main ingredients of dog toothpaste include baking soda, salt and glycerin. In an airtight container, mix the following:6 teaspoons of baking soda1/3 teaspoon of salt4 teaspoons of glycerin. If you are a vegetarian or vegan dog owner, you can opt for the glycerin that comes from plants.In addition to these ingredients, you can either mix in 2 teaspoons of organic, low-sodium beef broth or 2 teaspoons of peppermint extract. (Dogs tend to like the beef better, you can also try vanilla)...Some people swear by their home made recipes whilst others love the store bought ones. Personally i dont mind either, but my dogs seem to be more tolerant with the store bought ones.Good luck.

• I think you vet needs to get better education. Why would he suggested doing something when he does not know its safe? If I were you’d I’d find myself a new vet. One should not brush their dogs teeth with human toothpaste it is not meant to be consumed (the exception being toddler toothpaste since they are learning how to rinse and spit) at least much and a dog can not rinse and spit.If you’re going to brush your dogs teeth you should use dog toothpaste, give your dog one of those dental bones or give your dog its natural tooth brush a nice raw bone.