How do I stop my dog destroying everything when I am not home?

I have a 10 Month old Aussie <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/8-bulldog/?s=4df7bcb50dedb346ac4e6e31bf3a664bb1a20bc9">Bulldog</a>. I am away from home for 8 hours a day and she is on her own. When I am away she is eating/destroying anything she can find and reach. She also forces her way through a locked cat door into the house and will run amok…

I have a 10 Month old Aussie <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/8-bulldog/?s=4df7bcb50dedb346ac4e6e31bf3a664bb1a20bc9">Bulldog</a>. I am away from home for 8 hours a day and she is on her own. When I am away she is eating/destroying anything she can find and reach. She also forces her way through a locked cat door into the house and will run amok…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do I stop my dog destroying everything when I am not home?...

• How do I stop my dog destroying everything when I am not home?

How do I stop my dog destroying everything when I am not home? General Dog Discussions
      I have a 10 Month old Aussie Bulldog. I am away from home for 8 hours a day and she is on her own. When I am away she is eating/destroying anything she can find and reach. She also forces her way through a locked cat door into the house and will run amok inside and tear up magazines, pillows etc.She has more dog toys than any other dog I know. I have tried ignoring her for a while when I get home, saying NO when I catch her but the problem is that she is perfectly behaved when we are at home. she gets plenty of exercise too (thowing balls etc.)HELP. I am worried she will get stuck in the cat door and be there all day half in, half out!Thanks for all the answers. I would never give my dog an electric shock!! And to be quite honest I don't like the idea of confining her to a small space for 8 hours at a time. Is this humane?She has 2 Kong toys. Always plenty for her to doOh and by the way an Aussie Bulldog or an Australian Bulldog is bred from British Bulldogs. They have alot of the health problems bred out. Great dog!

How do I stop my dog destroying everything when I am not home? General Dog Discussions
    • Pups and young dogs should not be left to their own devices when no one is around.Either use a crate or a pin to confine your dog. Put her toys and a kong toy, stuffed with a tasty treat in with her. There are portable play pens that might work, but a crate is probably the safest bet, as dogs can sometimes be smart enough to climb the pin.

• its very easy u see my freind had this problem u see go to your nearest pet store and there is this collar which shocks him but a little it has 3 settings 10 metters 20 and 30 buy it and ur problem is solved

• You're getting some terrible advice here. An electric shock collar will not solve your problems AND is inhumane. Tying your dog out on a stake will continue to increase her anxiety and make her aggressive. Do not do these things.Saying "NO!!!" might feel good to you because it appears that you're accomplishing something - but, you're not. Get a crate for your dog and learn how to introduce your dog to it properly so that your dog won't flip out.http://www.dogmanners.com/crate.htmlandhttp://ask.metafilter.com/63007/My-new-dog-cant-be-left-alone

• I couldn't keep my dog in a crate. She was an angel when we're home, but she'd throw herself against the crate and bang up the walls. She moved her crate and pulled the curtains down and ruined them. She'd also pee in her crate, even though she's always been housebroken. When she was outside she'd break through the gate and escape. I almost had to get rid of her, but I took her to the vet, and he said that's very common. She had to take some anti-anxiety medication for a while, but now she's a good dog all the time.

• Like others said, crate training could be hugely helpful. Your dog is still a puppy, so it may be going through a particularly destructive phase. If you get a crate, make sure to introduce the dog to it gradually (throw treats in there to get her in at first, don't close the door right away, let the dog get familiar with it). Feeding meals in the crate, giving all treats in the crate, and such will make the crate a Very Good Place. You might also put a blanket and a toy in there. Make sure she has enough room to turn around.Make sure she gets lots of exercise and attention when you get home, so she'll burn off the energy. A quick morning walk or jog will also help her to be less energetic during the day, when she is bored, so hopefully she'll just go to sleep.Another alternative would be to dog-proof a room and keep her confined to there with her toys, or get a pen for her that she can't break out of. With the pen, do the same thing. Feed her there, give her fun toys and treats in there.You can also get a Kong toy and stuff it with kibble and some wet dog food, peanut butter, or other moist stuff, and give it to her to work on while you are away. It takes most dogs awhile to get all the food out.

• In this instance, i think the most effective and quick resolve will be to crate your dog. This will immediately prevent pup from getting into things that you dont want it to.i am not suggesting that this is the only option, but use it in the first instance whilst re training what is acceptable and what is not, I would suggest that boredom may have a bit to do with it, so if you dont walk reguarly add that into your daily routine, and if you do walk maybe start increasing the length and time of it to help tire.good luck with it all

• I agree crate training maybe perfect for Potty train. But 8 hours in crate, I don't like it. I would said put her in bathroom. Make sure there isn't anything that can endanger her.

• Get her a cage and put her in that... That's what I do with my dogs... Mine love their cages it's like their security blanket they go in them all the time. We tried leaving ours out before we came home to a tore up couch!

• Go to the petstore and buy a crate.. Crate the dog when you go out and none of this would be a problem at all..And before you try and say it's mean.. Dogs love their crates.. Dogs would sleep in a tiny little wee den in the wild.. Dogs that don't need to be crated at night often go to their crate and sleep there for comfort ... Crate the dog.