What is the best pet for my kids besides a cat or dog?

My son is 3 1/2 and my daughter 18 months. We can't have a cat or dog because we are in a duplex, and the others that live here don't want a cat because they will tear up the screens, and no dog because of the poop. So please any info on other pets,…

My son is 3 1/2 and my daughter 18 months. We can't have a cat or dog because we are in a duplex, and the others that live here don't want a cat because they will tear up the screens, and no dog because of the poop. So please any info on other pets,…...
    General Dog Discussions : What is the best pet for my kids besides a cat or dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is the best pet for my kids besides a cat or dog?

What is the best pet for my kids besides a cat or dog? General Dog Discussions
      My son is 3 1/2 and my daughter 18 months. We can't have a cat or dog because we are in a duplex, and the others that live here don't want a cat because they will tear up the screens, and no dog because of the poop. So please any info on other pets, preferably one that doesn't smell bad and is fairly easy to clean up after. Thanks (please no sarcasm like a pet rock)also, I don't like fish.....

What is the best pet for my kids besides a cat or dog? General Dog Discussions
    • Choosing the Right Pet for YouSharing your life with an animal has great benefits and can bring you great joy. If you arethinking about adding a pet to your family, it’s best to learn about the needs of differenttypes of pets to find one that will best suit your lifestyle. Each type of pet is different interms of care, feeding, behavior, cost, housing and demands on your time. If you knowwhat you’re getting into, you’ll be more likely to have a happy animal, a good relationshipwith your pet, and an easier time dealing with any challenges that might arise.Here are some questions to ask yourself as you consider what type of pet to get:• What type of animal is the best fit for your home? Will you be able to live with pethair, a litter box or the occasional wear-and-tear caused by pets?• If you have children, how will having a pet affect them? Will everyone in yourhome welcome an animal?• If you rent, do you have permission from the property owner?• How much space do you have inside and outside your home? Will you need afenced yard? If you get a cat, will you want an outdoor enclosure (a cattery) soyour kitty can spend time safely outdoors?• How much time do you have to spend with a pet?• What is your activity level? Are you sedentary or physically active?• Do you have the financial resources if your pet has a medical crisis and has highveterinary bills?• Do you have someone who can be a secondary caregiver if you are away fromhome? If not, how will you provide care for your pet when you travel?One key question is where to get your new pet. Please consider adopting. Althoughanimals can be purchased in markets and on the streets of Shanghai, these animalsare often very sick, and there is a fair chance that the animals are from Chinese puppyand kitten mills (inhumane breeding factories).Puppies or DogsDogs are very social creatures; they aren’t happy leftoutside or chained up in the yard alone all the time. Ifyou are thinking about getting a dog, make sure you’regoing to be able to spend several hours a day with himor her.Also, consider carefully what kind of dog to get.Adopting a puppy is a huge commitment, since youcannot leave a puppy home alone all day. Most puppiesneed to eliminate every two hours or so. Also, in orderto co-exist happily with humans, puppies must be taughthouse-training skills and basic commands. If puppiesare not handled often and socialized when young, they will become shy and fearful.If you’re thinking about getting a particular breed of dog, you might want to read up onvarious breeds before deciding what type of dog to get. Different breeds of dogs havedifferent characteristics. You can still adopt from your local shelter even if you want apurebred dog, since a quarter of the dogs at shelters are purebreds. We at SCAA,however, hope that you will decide not to go to a breeder for a purebred dog, but willchoose one of the abandoned, mixed breed dogs that we save and rehome; theseanimals need as much, or more, love than purebreds!You’ll also want to consider where you live, how much space you have, and what yourlifestyle is. For example, larger dogs may not do well confined to a small apartment orliving in a big city, unless you are thoroughly committed to providing your dog withplenty of exercise. All dogs should have at least one walk a day outside their home turf,but some dogs need much more. If you are a fairly sedentary person, you probablywant to find a dog (perhaps an older dog) who doesn’t require that much activity. Keepin mind that not all small dogs are less active and not all large dogs need a great dealof exercise. You’ll want to learn more about the traits of the dog you’re thinking aboutgetting, even if he or she is a mixed breed, to see if you are compatible.Dogs need quite a bit of interaction with their humans in order to be happy. If you’revery busy and spend little time at home, a dog might not be a suitable pet for you,unless you can bring your dog along when you’re away from home. You’ll also need tospend some time training your dog to do basic commands like sit, stay and come.Make sure you have enough money to support a dog. Costs associated with dog careinclude food, toys, leashes, training, grooming, spay/neuter surgery, routine vet careand, sometimes, emergency vet care.Whatever dog you choose, keep in mind that you are making a long-term commitment,since dogs live 10 years or more. Your dog will need attention, love and respect fromyou: food and water are not enough. Consider your dog to be part of your family – toyour dog, you and he (and your other family members) are a pack.Kittens or CatsContrary to popular opinion, many cats are social animalsand love attention. Though most cats don’t require asmuch attention as dogs, they still need play time andpetting on a daily basis. Spending time every day withyour kitty can be the difference between a happy cat anda bored cat.Make sure you have enough money to support a cat. Thecosts of caring for a cat include food, toys, litter and alitter box, spay/neuter surgery, and vet care. Here aresome other things that you need to know before adopting a cat:• Cats are very fastidious about their litter box habits, so it’s important to keep thelitter box clean and fresh.• Cats can live up to 15 years or more, so you should be prepared to make a longtermcommitment if you adopt a kitten.• Cats need to scratch, so a sturdy scratching post is necessary. Declawing a catto protect your furniture is cruel and unnecessary. Declawing, which involves theremoval of the first knuckle of each toe, is extremely painful for the cat. You canlearn to trim your cat’s nails to prevent damage to furniture; besides scratchingposts, there are many other products, available at pet supply stores, that detercats from damaging furniture.• Kittens are not suitable if you have children less than three years of age in yourhome. An adult kitty would be a better choice.• Cats have different personalities. Some like to be held and snuggled; others aremore aloof and don’t like to be picked up. So, be prepared to adapt to your newcat’s individual personality traits. If you go to a shelter or contact a local rescuegroup to adopt a cat, they will be able to advise you on the personalities of thecats in their care and help you choose just the right cat for you.You’ll have to make a decision about whether to have an indoor or outdoor cat. Manyorganizations will not adopt cats out as outdoor pets because of the risk of disease orinjury. In most locations, indoors is a much safer place for cats. Indoor kitties live longerand are generally healthier. You’ll want to provide your indoor kitty with plenty of toysand regular play time. You might also think about adding a cattery or cat enclosure toyour home so your cat can enjoy the outdoors safely.Cats can be wonderful companions, but before you get a cat, make sure you are willingto make the commitment to provide your cat with the necessities, and you will not mindadapting your life a little bit to accommodate your new feline family member.Other Types of PetsFor information on other types of pets, check out these websites:Birds: www.avianwelfare.org.Rabbits: www.rabbit.org.Fish: www.americanhumane.org/kids/aquarium.htmFerrets: www.ferretcentral.org, www.ferretwise.org (Ferret Wise Rescue andRehabilitation Center) or www.ferrets.org (Ferret Information Rescue Shelter and TrustSociety).Rats: www.ratfanclub.orgMice: www.horns.freeserve.co.uk/mouse.htmHamsters: www.hilltopanimalhospital.com/hamsters.htmGerbils: www.animalhospitals-usa.com/small_pets/gerbil_care.htmlGuinea Pigs: http://cavyspirit.com/Chinchillas: http://wvwv.essortment.com/caringforchinc_rqpa.htmPot-Bellied Pigs: www.pigs.orgReptiles (Snakes, Lizards, Turtles): www.neherp.com/Source: www.bestfriends.org

• A guinea pig is a good ides, but I don't know whether you'll be allowed to use a hutch-do you have a yard? Good indoors pets include mice, though if they escape they can be quite difficult to catch. If you want something clean, a hermit crab would be the best idea, and the kids can take it out and play with it so it's more ''personal'' than a fish.

• Ok I know people think this is weird but rats make great first time pets. They are intelligent, clean and friendly. The deal is this if the rat is going to have lots of attention then you can get 1 but they can really depressed if they dont have companionship wether it be from you or another rat. So if you dont have the time to spend with it make sure you get 2. Also where your kids are young they would need to be supervised but rats very rarely bite. I used to work in a pet store and have been bitten by everything but rats. Also I owned a rat just 1 as I spent alot of time with her and she would play little games with me and even knew her name. There is all different kinds of rats I personally like Hooded rats as they have a grey head, black eyesand a white body, usually with a "splotch" of grey on her their back. Very cute! They also live an average of 4-6 years but make sure you research their care to make sure they live a long healthy life. Good luck!

• I would have to say the best ever pet i had as a child would be a crazy crab!!Im going to get my childern a few. They are easy to look after and not expensive at all!They dont smell and it is so easy to clean their tank, your children would also be able to help you with changing their water and food... it would teach them responsibilities of owning a pet without the mess of a cat, dog or mouse... and mice smell!!!A crazy crab would give them plenty of giggles!! it did for me!!

• When I was a kid we had a cat and the dog.. We also had a budgie inside.. We got a guinea pig at one stage for my baby sister.. The English call them hamsters I think, they are smaller than a bunny rabbit but just as furry and cuddly.. Also they live in a big box of your making and when you want them in or out,you are in total control... Not much mess either and you can dig the straw or hay that you use into your garden..I think kids like something they can interact with not something locked away in a fish tank, fish and hermit crabs or even lizards..Happy pet hunting... )O(

• A hamster. Seeing they are kept mostly in cages and also have exercise equipment which may amuse your kids while they watch the hamster play with it`s exercise equipment in it`s cageCheck out the link below if you are interested

• when me and my brother were little we had crazy crabs they dont smell and dont make a mess. all you have to do is have a bottle cap of water and crushed weeties or cereal to feed them. When they get bigger you just put a bigger shell in the tank and they move house.

• well my dad would have said pet rock put i do have the same problem i really wanted a pet but couldnt have one because i live in a small flat so i got a medium size round bowl with too really pretty fish its easy to clean because some of the water vaparates and be the time about 1/4 goes you can refill to the top. they are quite fun to watch, mine like to chase each other. otherwise u can get seamonkeys.